Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Raymond T. Thrasher 503

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by cgowens, Apr 6, 2009.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

When I first looked at the photo, my first thought was Good Conduct Medal and EAME with 2 battle stars. That wouldn't make sense it it was a pre-deployment photo. Look into what the 19th FA Bn and the 16th AD were doing at the end of the war. If the 19th was heading home and the 16th was doing Occupation duty, that might indicate he was transferred at the end of the War due to a lower point total.

If you can figure out how old your grandmother is in that photo, you might be able to determine the year it was taken.

2. cgowens

cgowens recruit

she was 3 in this picture (so she says, she's getting kinda old) and she was born in 42 which would make this 1945, its possible this was 44 or late 43 but who knows lol....is it possible he hadn't gotten his tec-4 sewed on to his dress uniform? if this was after the war that is?

3. TD-Tommy776

Well, I suppose it's possible. Though, PFC to Tech4 is a jump of two grades unless I am mistaken. That seems unusual, but not impossible. Without more information, we can only speculate. It may require more in depth research to sort it out with any degree of certainty.

4. cgowens

cgowens recruit

I know he was a Tec-4 when he got out. he left for france in 43 or early 44. thats what i cant figure out. its possible she was almost 2 in this picture which would be around the end of 43/early 44. but i can't tell if he is wearing an EAME it looks like it but idk. i was thinking he was originally assigned to 16th then got re-assigned to 19th field artillery and deployed with them. but i dont know. since all the records were burned. i have his 19th field artillery pin and his green/red lining cap and my grandmother said he was with the artillery and pattons army. if he was with the 19th field artillery, it was under the 5th ID which came under Pattons command at some point. well hopefully one day ill find out more.

[​IMG]

5. TD-Tommy776

I took a closer look at the ribbon and it still looks like an EAME with 2 stars to me. While his personnel records may have been destroyed in the 1973 fire, there are other records that will answer at least some of these questions. Each unit in the Army would keep daily records called Morning Reports. The MRs are used to track personnel changes in the unit on a daily basis. They record transfers to and from the unit, promotions, demotions, KIAs, WIAs, etc. The records are kept at the NARA in Saint Louis, MO and can only be accessed in person. The NARA will not do the research for you. While some of our members have gone there to do the research themselves, others (like me) have hired a researcher to track down and retrieve the relevant records.

Here's an example:

View attachment 22254

Attached Files:

cgowens likes this.
  6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I looked at the picture as well, and I agree with Tommy. The ribbon sure looks like an EAME with two battle stars. I also have had good luck with a researcher. That might be your best bet.

cgowens likes this.
  7. cgowens

cgowens recruit

thanks guys

8. Oldleg

Oldleg New Member

Good afternoon Chad, I have just registered on this forum and came across this post.

I am a British ex-pat linving in Lyons La ForĂȘt and would be very interrested in talking to you about your great grandfather's experience here. I am a local amatuer historian who wants to help keep the memory of what happened here alive.

Olek.

Otto likes this.
  9. cgowens

cgowens recruit

i sent you a PM

10. Oldleg

Oldleg New Member

Chad, the two buildings in the photos do still exist. As I live in the village I will photograph them during the week. The large mansion is called Les Cordoliers and is owned by a family related to the Louis Vuitton family famed for designer accessories. It was also apparently the local office for the Gestapo. Just accross the road is the summer home of the famous French composer Maurice Ravel which also served as the HQ for the resistance during the war and on 31st August 1944 all female colaborators had their heads shaved in public on the porche of Mr Ravel's house.

TD-Tommy776 and Natman like this.
  11. TD-Tommy776

Fascinating information, Olek. I look forward to seeing your photos of these buildings as they appear today.

12. cgowens

cgowens recruit

Something my grandmother found.

Im guessing he shipped out later than I thought. If june19th 1944 is the correct date of entry. Just thought I'd share. I have a few more of these from older family members prior to WW1.

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  13. TD-Tommy776

That's a pretty nice item. I don't recall having seen one before, but I'm sure some of our other members have. Thanks for posting the pic.

cgowens likes this.