Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Re-armament of Shermans in the the field w 76mm gun?

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Terry D, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

This post is provoked by a video from Nicholas Moran, AKA the Chieftain. In the course of discussing the development of the late-war Sherman with the 76mm in the T23 turret, Moran at one point seemed to imply that some M4s were up-gunned in the ETO by shoving the 76mm into the original small turret. I imagine such vehicles would have been pretty close to the postwar M4A1E6/M4A3E4. Of course the M4 had been designed with a rather Catholic turret which could in a pinch take the 3-Inch gun or a 105mm how. Now, does anyone here know anything about any such field modifications? Did they happen, or am I misunderstanding Mr. Moran? I have Zaloga's Osprey book on the Sherman and he doesn't say anything about the matter. And yes, I do know some Sherman Jumbos were re-armed with the 76mm in the ETO, but they had the T23 turret.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Odd, but I thought I already answered this question Terry? Did you ask it on a different site?

Yes, this was tried in the ETOUSA, using spare 76mm gun tubes. The modification actually required extensive work, but was possible, using the M4A3 75mm (w) turret. One pilot was completed and examined and possibly as many as 30 other tanks were converted by a TUSA Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company (Tk). There is photo evidence of a few with units sometime in late April. However, the majority of effort converting tanks to the 76mm appears to have been with the M4A3E2, which was a much simpler job.

Oddly enough, there is little evidence that FUSA or NUSA did such conversions, so the total may be the 45 M4A2E2 and 30 M4A3 75mm (w) converted by Third Army, plus the single ETOUSA pilot.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Terry D likes this.