Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Re: Palawan Massacre -- Rated PG or R

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by drogon, Sep 6, 2010.

1. drogon

drogon Member

A bit off topic:
    Every society is capable of producing 'humans turned intol mindless killers'
    I don't like very much that some here try to mix Buddhism with Japanese militarism -> some should remember: Most Japanese were Shinto rather than purely Buddhist + no religion is ever innocent when it comes to atrocities (Protestant, Catholics, Islam and so on).
    So please, avoid blaming Buddhism for the Japanese militarism atrocities....

May I remind the US troops attitude during the Philippines-USA war??
    Or the British attitude during the boers wars?

What the Japanese did was an atrocity, either in Nanking, the Palawan, Bataan and multiple other examples -> but I really dislike some posters attitude which seem to say "Japanese Buddhist Barbarians are the only ones who ever committed such crimes"..........this stinks.

Also, the Japanese of today are not the Japanese of world war 2, didn't think this forum could have some racists on it

End of rant

faughn, Caudillo and luketdrifter like this.
  2. BarronVonBerger

BarronVonBerger New Member

Don't worry friend. I have buddies in Germany that always get called Nazis when they have no such affiliation. They hate it so much they call each other Nazis as a sarcastic term of endearment.

3. lwd

lwd Ace

I don't think I've ever seen phrases like that. Indeed I don't see a religion linked to Japanese very often unless it's the minority of Christian Japanese.

I'm also not at all sure that every society is capable of "producing 'humans turned intol mindless killers'" at least in the numbers/percentages that some of them did.

Then there's the question about religion and innocence when it comes to atrocities. I don't think I've ever seen either Budhism or Shintoism as a religion linked to such. Certainly adherence of those religions have committed atrocities but were they in the name of their religion? Likewise many of the shaministic religoins seem to be pretty clear of such charges. Whether the religous authorities of Ancient Greece would be guilty of such is a good question. Some of the rights of Baccus might be described as such but that was internal and not on the scale of the Japanese or the Nazis or the Communist for that matter.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.