Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Red Orchestra

Discussion in 'Red Orchestra' started by Mussolini, Nov 15, 2007.

1. TommyAtkins

TommyAtkins Dishonorably Discharged

Yeah, Joe. I think I will get it off Amazon! Will let you and Mussolini know when I get it so we can have some epic battles.:D

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

You all get headsets too, so we can talk as we play. Me and a buddy do it like that and usually pwn. Its all about team work, really.

I'll post some screenies later (about to play right now).

3. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I know absolutely nothing about how to play this game well, depending on if this would make a difference to anyone I can gear up to play the game.

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone.

4. Mussolini

Hey,

I can show you how to play this afternoon if you like. Getting used to the controls and aiming takes some time, and the really good players will seem like they are hacking, but its probably my favorite WWII game at the moment. I suggest that you practice my playing on one of the 'The Wild Bunch 50 Player Servers' in the mean time. You'll have to download some skins etc that the server uses, so better do that now then later.

5. TommyAtkins

TommyAtkins Dishonorably Discharged

Hey Musso! Finally Steam accepted my Credit Card, just bought and downloading see ya in game!

6. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I appreciate that you can give me help in getting started.

I'm at work now but I'll most likely have time free in the evening.

Yesterday I downloaded the game and I've started to program my N52TE with the different movement commands.

I'll need to set up my microphone and headphones.

I'll need to re-install my Xfire. I believe my name is Paulverisor64.

I'll also look at downloading the skins you've talked about. If I run into issues I'll look you up on Xfire.

I should be turning Xfire on around 7PM and I'll look you up.

7. Mussolini

Ok. 7PM EST is when we will play Red Orchestra tonight.

Here is a list of thing all interested people should do before hand:

1. Play Red Orchestra. Join The Wild Bunch 50 Player Server so that you can download whatever custom skins they use NOW, instead of tonight when we are all playing. You can only DOWNLOAD when you join the server.

2. Download Hamachi and Ventrilo, even if you do not have a Mic. This way we can all talk together. Both programs are FREE and EASY to use. Once I get home, I can give you the IP for the HAMACHI server, which you need to join the Ventrilo server.

3. Download x-Fire. Its another free program that also serves as a messenger service. Add 'PanzerPenguin' to your friends list so that I know who to talk to.

4. Respond to this thread between now and 7PM if you are interested in playing tonight.

8. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

If technical difficulties don't prevail I'll be in. I have your Xfire contact name so connections can be made.

9. Joe

Joe Ace

If you talk me through all the downloadings I should be able to play this friday.

10. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

Mussolini,

I've sent a Xfire invitation off to you.
    I've been on the Wild Bunch server and I believe I've downloaded all the stuff.
    I will need the IP for the Hamachi that you mentioned.
    I'll wait a few and check back here and on Xfire.

11. Mussolini

Success! After a bit of tinkering, Paul got his mic to work and we played Red Orchestra for 3 hours last night.

For those of you who wish to join us on friday night, please DOWNLOAD the following before then! On Friday, I will simply help you set the two programs up. This way, we will avoid having to wait for you to download them!

1. Hamachi - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/list.asp

Hamachi is a program that allows us to 'directly connect', securely, that works even for people behind a firewall. More information on it here. This will allow us all to talk to each other (mics permitting) on ventrillo (Vent).

2. Ventrilo - Ventrilo - Download

Ventrillo is very much like TeamSpeak. It allows several people to join the same server and talk to each other - while playing games or otherwise. Even if you do not have a mic, I highly suggest installing the two above programs so you can listen/recieve orders ( :) ) while we play. Communication is key to all games.

3. Order

The order in which to run the programs is as above: Hamachi then Ventrilo. Once you connect in Hamachi then you can connect in Vent.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

12. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

Last evening was my 1st real taste of Red Orchestra.

I guess my overall discovery was that I am new to this game in every respect.

I had a technical problem with my microphone which made things difficult at 1st, so I stumbled and bumbled my way through.

The game became a lot more fun when I was able to get the microphone up and running. Mussolini was able to give me a lot of helpful advice in how to best stay alive on the battlefield which without the advice I would have been tempted to just quit because of how it was difficult to sort things out. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have played quite a bit of Battlefield 2, and even though this is still a FPS game it plays out a lot differently.

Even with a lot of good advice I found myself dying very frequently, and I rarely registered a kill of my own. The feel of the weapons is very different. I would have a tendency to say that it is because they are modeled more accurately. I found myself in many situations where my gun was not ready to fire because I had already fired a shot and forgot to advance a round. It is a little challenging having iron sights and not zoomed scopes. In close combat when not using iron sights I had a rough time guessing where my shot would land.

With all of this said my impression of the game is that I just love the immersion factor. In this game people are not running and gunning. In some spots you have to gain territory by the inch. There are some powerful and respected weapons on the map. You do feel the element of fear when you see a T34 looming ahead of you.

There is a limitation on what class of character you can be in a game, determined by the amount of slots available. In the games that Mussolini and I were in it was quite evident that there a lot of people counting on the limited tank personnel and sniper to pin the enemy down. If these jobs aren’t in capable hands it will make the whole team suffer. Red Orchestra does not have some of the neat squad related abilities that Battlefield 2 has, but the game itself dictates the need for every class of fighter to stick together and cover for each other.

With this being said I hope to see more people on the battlefield. The easiest way to get familiar with a game is to have someone teaching the fundamentals. Mussolini was patient with getting me started, I’m sure he’d be glad to help you out so we could get some strength in numbers.

13. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

Are we still looking at playing RO this evening?

It appears that Call of Duty World at War is gaining a lot of attention, it wouldn't bother me if everyone wanted to do this instead. The last 2 evenings I've stopped at Wallyworld and they do not have the PC version, and the guy working there hasn't heard about them even getting this in stock.

Going back to RO; I've modified my controls somewhat, hopefully to make the next time online a little less confusing. I'll check the forums when I get back home this evening.

14. Mussolini

Either works for me. I might be a bit late tonight as I am going to the real shooting range after work today. I'll keep you all posted, look for me on xfire.

15. Mussolini

*Bump*

Just bumping this back to the top of the list.

By my last count, there are now 5 of us who play Red Orchestra. Anyone else?

16. Hennio

Hennio recruit

I would like to join your hamachi network, can you please pm me the IP and password or post it here please?

Thank you

Hennio

17. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

We don't actually use hamachi anymore, we usually talk on skype now...

18. Gouldy

Gouldy Member

do you guys still play this?? if so add me, im gouldyGTR on steam

been having mega problems with my screen lagging/warping, even with my Alienware M17 laptop :(