Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Reference books

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by wwII items, Oct 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. wwII items

wwII items Member

I have serch the forum for reference book but cant find any good thread ( if there are pleas feel free to move this post).

I Hope people will post there catalog/reference/price books her for us rookies to see.
    Maybe people can help looking in the books for eatch other.
    (sorry for my bad english :))

This is my books:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C.Evans likes this.
  2. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Are my eyes playing around or does it say that you are from Norway?:eek:

3. wwII items

wwII items Member

No your eyes see right, I'm from Norway :)

4. Smithson

Smithson Member

very nice books

5. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Yay finally a norwegian collector. Nordmann her også skjønner du :D

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Collector, we have other Norsemen here as well-such as Jaeger ;-)

Best regards-C.

Nice start on Reference books. The Reverend Haydens book on ribbon bars is OK as a first book on them, however, it sorely lacks. Also, that so called "Rommel" Ribbon bar that they in the book talk about that some collector owns, is a fantasy piece that has since been proven to have made by some guy in Virginia or somewhere on the East Coast.

7. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

I'd run out of space here. Depends on the reference material required, because I have several bookshelves and a couple filing cabinets devoted to reference.

Modelers are a mad lot.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Jeez, where are those neat buttons on MY keyboard? I wonder what those cool inscriptions mean....

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I see you have one of my favourite militaria titles : Cyrus A Lee's 'Soldat Volume 2'.....:)

10. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

It will forever be a mystery to you :D

11. wwII items

wwII items Member

Tanks, I did't now that....

12. wwII items

wwII items Member

Fint, Håper vi får "nytte" av hverandre.

13. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Får håpe det da... Har du samlet lenge? Veldig kjekt å endelig møte en norsk samler på dette forumet :D (I hope it is okay that we talk norwegian...)

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome.

Here is a few Reference books I have-though I can't post pics.

a Book about the Maker markings and values of Lugers. Book definately out of date on prices but the other info is still great to have. A few Brian L. Davis titles on cloth insignia. Backbone of the Wehrmacht Vol 2 on German Sniper Rifles. Has one page witha photo of two Sniper rifles that come close but not an exact match-to the one I have.

Ill list more later.

15. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

It is until Google Translate dies. :D

16. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Carl, Im not really into the Militaria side of things like you and Stewy etc, but the Brian L Davis, books on the British and German Uniforms and Insignia have always been to me a great reference.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Jason, that they are ;-)) I have 3-4 or more of his books which were among the first I ever bought. I have his Uniforms and Insignia of the Army and of the Luftwaffe volumes. I also have other German uniforms and insignia books by him as well0-which all contain a wealth of information in them. In fact, I credit his books for getting me as interested in collecting shoulderboards and collartabs ;-))

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Especially for WWII Items,

Stay away from Detecting the Fakes-which is by Robin Lumsden. That book is so crudely done and flat out was outdated when it first came out. Its of almost zero value. On a scale of 1-to-100 with 100 being the best-I would rank that book about a .003-and that's only because upon looking through that book it tought me to NOT use it as a reference source.

19. wwII items

wwII items Member

Thank you very much. This is helpfull. I'm bying books this days.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good show. ALso, if your interested in Reference books about Knights Cross Recipients, German Cross in Gold and Close Combad Clasp in Gold Recipients, Fellgibels book (RKT) is the best German source I have ever seen but-MAKE sure you get the volume with the Red cover on it because the one with the Green cover has untold amounts of mistakes in it. The Red cover book has mistakes but is no where near as bad as the Green covered book.

Also, if you get the book listing all the German Cross in Gold/Silver recipeints-make sure you get the most updated version of this book-which is by Klaus Patzwall and Viet Scherzer. The cpy i have is missing an estimated 700++ names-but only with names with the last name starting with the letter "B". They apparently discovered the names were missing when my edition went to print-because they simply reprinted the same amount of pages with the same names already listed. I THINK the newest printing of this book was done so in 2006-or 2007. Also, they had at least one man in this book listed as a German Cross in Silver Recipient when in fact he was a German Cross in Gold Recipient. The reason I know that was because his DKiG award document was recently up for sale and by chance, I saw it on a dealers website and also checked the DKiG/S book just for the hell of it-and saw he was not listed with the DKiG names.

The CCCiG book is a great reference source and has very few mistakes that I have seen.

Fellgiebels book: the RKT book, was reprinted and mistakes were corrected when Helion Books printed it in English.

Other great reference books-if your into unit OrBats and such -for a started book in that direction-Samuel Mitchams book: Hitlers Legions, is a good starter book.

If you are interested in Soviet OrBats, there is an ongoing series being published now-which I THINK just for Rifle Divisions-I THINK is going to be at least 20 volumens. This series is called: Armies of the Bear: Soviet Rifle Divisions 1917-to-1957. (I forget the two Authors names) I do not know if these authors are going to eventually cover the Cavalry, Mechanized and Armored units or not? Im HOPING they will eventually get around to doing so-because so much is lacking on the Soviet Naval Land Forces and Artillery Divisions and such. im also hoping they cover the NKVD Divisions as well.