Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Reflections of a Soldier

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Ilhawk, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

Jack Sherman 327 talks reflects about WW2.

Interesting and short.

Why didn't soldiers talk? My take is for many of them that were in combat or support, they live with the thought that something they did or didn't do in their mind led to the death or injury of another soldier (enemy didn't bother them as much). I came to this conclusion after interviewing quite a number of guys that served in combat.

Enjoy

https://www.facebook.com/109600119062869/videos/vb.109600119062869/1403851142469/?type=2&theater

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

As much as we want to hear the stories we need to understand how those who were there need to find peace for themselves. PTSD isn't something new and many of our WW2 Veterans bear a heavy weight.

3. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

Interestingly the book helped them to find peace a couple of ways. First finally telling their stories. Many had never told anyone. There was quite a process to get them to talk. i Second, when the book came out they were very happy how things were presented. It was first person dialog. Theyv went over it before going to press.

They bought copies for their families and presented it like ...here this explains why I am who I am.

I didn't interview one who either admitted to p t s d or show symptoms. P T S D has a big impact on families.

4. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

When Don (main subject) was dying at 89 y o he suffered from a lot of flashbacks and nightmares. He was fighting the war. He also enjoyed talking about the book at signings.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

This is well stated. In many cases, in my experience, many would like to tell their story, but to those that they don't know as a family member. It seems to be a bit easier to explain what they have been through to non family members, perhaps secret burdens that they do not wish disclose to family members.

For those that interview and take the time to get to know Veterans I salute you. Your are helping those brave men and women to find some kind of peace and relief.

6. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

A few of my reflections on the interviews I've done.

1. It helps to know your stuff. Bringing up things brings back the memory when they get stuck. Reports and statements from others help. Be careful though not to put words in their mouth.

2. Don't expect to get anywhere with 1 or 2 interviews. It's a process. They get more comfortable with each visit. They seem to want to believe you are really serious and not just after attention.

3. Joke around. Audio/video editing helps.

4. Don't stick a microphone at them.

Keep in mind this company saw a lot of combat. The conversations went something like this:

1st meeting. I just don't remember
    2nd meeting. I just don't remember
    3rd. They say something about a funny incident having zero to do with combat.
    4th. Something personal about something that was serious but not combat related, like about extreme cold
    5th. I took out a tank...or mg or something like that. Maybe a buddy who died
    6th. I killed....

I was able to get all but one guy to talk. A couple of guys died during the process (they were upper 80s/early 90s
    They guy who didn't talk was a Silver Star recipient but he just wouldn't talk. Unfortunately he was from the most obscure company in the 327 that has little information to find. He would get angry and got mad about the book. Turns out he though he went into Market Garden on D Day (Sept 19) but instead glided in on D+2 which was the worst day for airborne operations for the 101. He did ask others and got back to me and apologized.

At times I felt like quitting because of the emotions. Seeing the relief on their faces after they were done was rewarding. Seeing the appreciation for the book was even more so.

My biggest regrets after the fact are some minor error such as wrong names of KIA. I find more info later. And the stories they told me after the book was out.

What was astonishing to me was how accurate they were. I wrote the initial draft before finding the actual records. I didn't change much.

Because Don was severely wounded at the Carentan Marina, I didn't document the bloody battles at Montmarten en Graignes and Meautis. The plot follows him to England.

If you are interested in meeting these guys of the 327 (pics, video and stories online) you can here. More info than you can possibly read though.

https://www.facebook.com/327-Glider-Infantry-Screaming-Eagle-109600119062869/