Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Reputation System: Allow Negative Comments?

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Otto, Jun 22, 2007.

?

Should negative comments be allowed in the Reputation System?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

100.0%
  1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

To settle this issue once and for all I've decided to open the question up to you Rogues.

The reputation system in no longer anonymous, and I went ahead and deleted all previous negative comments to avoid any conflicts. A few members have since stated that we should still be able to send both positive & negative comments, as opposed to just positive. I decided to open up a poll to see where you Rogues stand. Your answers will be recored and public.

This poll will remained pinned until the close of the polls, (2 weeks maximum).

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I voted for both, positive and negative. But then, it may add more headaches for you, Otto, as people ask you to address what they feel are undeserved bad critiques from others. You'll have to make a call on that one. This can of worms is getting bigger and bigger, ain't it?

I guess it will still be weighted as before, so that some snotty 13 yo that drops in one time, makes a rediculous post and gets called on it and then provides bad feedback on the rep site doesn't make much of dent?

Otto, I'm glad it is you that is trying to figure out this gordian's knot and not me!

3. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Way I see it is that the people who misuse the reputation system won't have much rep power anyway so it won't matter.

4. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

1. Its just a board. If you are so predisposed to think that your reputation here is so important that life itself will end if you get a negative one, then you really need a reality check and definitely need to get a life.

2. Make it transparent. If someone wants to put a comment up positive or negative, then stand by what you said and sign your name to it. I've written hundreds of evaluations on military personnel and had to do exactly that. I can stand the heat for bad commentary and take credit for good comments, not to mention heat from people who thought they deserved better or disliked my choices. That's the cost of command and a necessary trait of leadership.

3. Those who misuse it will be found out in short order and hammered like a aluminum nail given #2.

4. And, finally, you will in the end get exactly the reputation you deserve from those who matter most; the people here who have come and stayed long enought to know you beyond some superficial "Paris Hilton" level of insignificance. They not through the reputation system but, through their responses and comments will let you know where you truly stand.

Otto likes this.
  5. Otto

Hear, hear! If people would just into their heads it would make life so much easier on us all. You are not your reputation, nor your postcount, it's just a discussion board and as Za has so eloquently stated many times before, anyone could be on the other end pawing on a keyboard.
    [​IMG]

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I voted "yes" . If people like me that's great and I'll appreciate it like anybody else, if they don't, So what, good for them, it won't prevent me from sleeping.

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, why not. If people dare say things with their "name" under it, I think it´s ok.

JTF-2 likes this.
  8. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Both, always, and what's different about that and life ?

Don't be too fragile

Few things in war were PC, (the time when the English/Commonwealth shared their stretchers with the Germans at Cassino during a cease-fire)(few and far between).

How else will the truth be known, or are we to...revisionists ? afraid of a distasteful truth ? Contrary opinion ? Being wrong ? (it happens to most of us)...maybe not Mr. Gardner...but the rest of us yes.

As Otto says in the rules...Don't over react ! In todays world "baiting" is not a crime, but "over reacting" is. That's turning a victim into a suspect.

SOP in todays....Ra-oww...emasculated, globe friendly, child safe, PC, kitty-cat world. Except for the war zones of course. That's it in a "Nutshell". You need both, or it cheapens both.

A world without war turns inward on itself ? Why do you think the Zoo has cages, and why it's not just one big "Utopian" party in there ?

Wonder why returning soldiers have a hard time adjusting to civillian life ? Don't.

How many do you get (baseball 3-strikes?)

Just an opinion from the "cheap-seats" (right field, second row from the top),
    or a long winded...yes.

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Shit!!! I voted no and wanted yes.......... Im a shmock, if possible in case of marginal results please change Otto....... It wont really matter if "yes" wins by a large margin anyway.

10. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

If possible how about a 'standard' unchangable negative message? Something like Za's "I fart in your general direction" to prevent 'unchilled out', snidey or directly nasty abuse, or even just the ability to click 'I dissaprove' but without leaving a written comment at all?

Serious disagreements, if felt necesary can always be carried out in public threads where the rules of courtesy have to apply, (and everyone can watch or join in :D) without any potentially vicious background sniping.
    I've watched tit for tat negative feedback wars break out into the public areas on other forums and it nearly always seems to begin with one overly insulting throwaway comment.

Cheers,
    Adam.

11. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Tit for tat wars don't seem likely here because you have a wait period before you can issue a subsequent comment to the same target, positive or negative. Lucky me :D

12. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

I don't think we can change it Sloniksp, not that it matters with the landslide of "Yes" :cool:

13. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

A couple more votes came in on the "yes" side. We may also do something where a negative comment counts for half of what a positive comment does, should lessen the blow if necessary. Just an option anyways.

Peppy >>> practices safe reputation

14. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I voted yes, agree totally with what TA has said. Anyone who takes it too seriously needs to have a word with themselves, the commentry that matters will come from the respected members of the forum who won't give bad reputation points unless it is deserved.

15. FramerT

FramerT Ace

<1. Its just a board. If you are so predisposed to think that your reputation here is so important that life itself will end if you get a negative one, then you really need a reality check and definitely need to get a life.>

I agree with TA. Hell, I got "voted" off a job once......that's real life. No one wanted to work with me.

16. Otto

I cast my vost as well, in favor. It seems you Rogues want to be able to admonish as well as praise, so the reputation system has been opened up to both negative and positive comments. Feel free to let me know if there are any further question/comments about this issue. :otto:

Col. Hessler likes this.
  17. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Yuuupiiiiee! Time to spread the horse manure around :D :D :D

18. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

I voted for no, simply beacuse we are all here to express our enjoyment of everything ww2 and military. When comments start being made, it breeds bad blood, and makes this place less enjoyable. If someone has a beef with someone else, deal with it privately, and remember that in a strange way, we are all brothers on here.
    NOW HOWS ABOUT A NICE BIG GROUP HUG HAHAHAHA

19. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Thanks Otto. Now I can give everyone who voted "No" a negative rep. :mischief:

20. Otto

I see we have a bunch of comedians here! :D Maybe we should have a WWIIF Comedy tour.

Thanks for the feedback on the Rep system guys. Even though it's back on, I'll keep an eye on the comments just in case, and we can always shut it down if we have problems. As someone wrote to me in a reputation comment: "I love the smell of democracy in the morning!"