Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Research Books

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Doc Raider, May 10, 2002.

1. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

I'm in a living history group, and we are trying to put together a list of good research books for people new to doing a GI impression. Books with great field photos or great "day in the life of a GI" info. If anyone has any ideas or favorites, let me know. I work at the 12th biggest library in the US, sos I can probably find them. Thanks!

2. Steve

Steve Member

Hi Doc: Two good reference books are Shelby Stanton's "US Army Uniforms of World War II" and Kenneth lewis' "Doughboy To GI". Stantons book has great photos and covers both theaters of the war. The book by Lewis covers the clothing and equipment of the US Army from 1900 - 1945.

3. WALT

WALT Member

HI DOC, I LIKE THE BOOK:"WAR IN THE PACIFIC"...PEARL HARBOR TO TOKYO BAY....IT HAS EXCELLENT TEXT, BUT IT ALSO HAS MODERN, COLOR PICTURES OF WEAPONS,UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT OF INFANTRY STUFF BOTH FROM THE EARLY PERIOUD, ON UP TO 1945.....IT IS EDITED BY "BERNARD C. NALTY".........ALSO THE BOOK: "LIFE'S PICTORAL HISTORY OF WW 2 " IT WAS PUBLISHED IN THE EARLY 1950'S IT IS A GREAT SOURSE OF COMBAT PHOTO'S FROM ALL THEATORS OF THE WAR AND ALL BRANCHES.

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Just saw this thread

Publisher Histoire et Collections, Paris ( who put out the French 'Armes/Militaria' magazine ) have published a number of large-format books combining modern ,highly-detailed 're-enactment' photos of uniforms and equipment with good contemporary pictures.
    A favourite of mine is '6 Juin 1944 - Les Soldats du Jour J'. They've just published 'Americans In Brittany - The Battle For Brest 1944' in the same series. They have a website :

www.militariamag.com

Hope this helps !