Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Researchers available at NPRC

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by alfylfc, Dec 23, 2016.

  1. alfylfc

    alfylfc New Member

    Mar 23, 2016
    Likes Received:
    I need an Official Military Personnel File from the NPRC in St Louis for a US soldier who died in 1942 (archival record).

    I tried to make a request through eVetRecs (via the National Archives site) but I couldn't get past stage one as I am not a relation.

    As I live in Northern Ireland I used a researcher to microfilm WW1 records from the National Records in London - it was a quick and efficient method of gaining records.

    There was a long list of researchers who could do this for a fee. Is a similar service available for NPRC records?

    If so, could someone suggest a reliable researcher who I could contact or a list of researchers to select from.

  2. TD-Tommy776

    TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow Patron  

    Jun 3, 2011
    Likes Received:
    The Land of 10,000 Loons
    You can request the records even if you are not next of kin. However, you cannot do it electronically. You would need to fill out the form SF-180 and either mail or fax it to the NARA.

    Hiring a researcher is a legitimate option. As you noted, they do it for a fee, so it may cost more. However, you are likely to get better and quicker results. If you have any reservations about cost, any decent researcher should be able to give you some idea of how much it might cost beforehand. Although I have not used him for an OMPF, I have been happy with Geoff at Golden Arrow Research. He's professional, fair, and easy to work with.
  3. LRusso216

    LRusso216 Graybeard Patron  

    Jan 5, 2009
    Likes Received:
    I second Tommy. I have also used Geoff at Golden Arrow. I was quite happy with the results.

Share This Page