Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Researching Grandfather's Unit

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by MedicP3, Mar 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Hey guys,

My grandfather just died last week, and I'm trying to piece together his WWII service history. I already have a lot of info on his service record, but I can't find anything as to what unit he was actually with to "trace his steps." I've spent countless hours online, emails, etc. and can't find any trace of his former unit except on graveyard records of other members. Can anyone help.

I know he was assigned and honorably discharged (after being severely wounded) with the "Company 55 140th Battalion 1614 Service Command Unit" and (according to his discharge papers) served in Normandy and Brittany, France, being wounded on 8 Aug. 1944 in St. Malo, France.

He was listed on his enlistment papers as a private (grade 8) in the "branch immaterial - warrant officer, usa." I also know 3 infantry divisions and 2 armored divisions were diverted from the Normandy campaign off of the 3rd Army to head west into Brittany, and St. Malo. But I can't find any info as to which division, my grandfather was with.

I even have a picture of him in his "Class A" uniform, which has a unit pin on his hat, but I can't find any pictures that come close to his pin to identify his unit (the pin isn't exactly crystal clear either).

If anyone can help me understand all this and figure out what units my grandfather was with, and where, exactly my grandfather was; or at least point me in the right direction to find out, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
    MedicP3

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I have strong suspicions that the unit listed was not one that he served with on the continent. Probably Company 55 140th Battalion 1614 Service Command Unit was where he was assigned during or after his convalescence, prior to his discharge. It could have been no more than a holding company for wounded and soon to be dischaged men.

If you can, post any picture that shows his left shoulder, specifically a patch that might be there.

4. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

For some reason, I couldn't upload the picture, but here's the link to his picture...
    http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/youngluvbirds/WWII/PrivateGeorgeYoung.jpg

He has no shoulder patches, only a qualifications pin over his right pocket (he was a sharpshooter), and a unit pin on his hat. I have tried looking at hundreds of unit pins and patches, but I haven't found anything close. Hope this helps. Thanks again!

Moderator edit. We don't allow members with less than 5 posts to add pics to their messages. I fixed it so that you can now, plus I added the pic from photobucket to the post.

[​IMG]

5. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Sniper1946...Thanks for the help. I have already been to this site and found my grandfather's records. It was here we learned a lot more about my grandfather...such as the date he enlisted, his education and occupation, and where he enlisted (Indianapolis, Indianna), and the branch recorded (Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA). But it only had his enlistment info, I haven't found any info about his actual deployment to Normandy and Brittany and what units (i.e. 3rd Army, 8th Division, etc) he was assigned to. Thanks again. I welcome any and all suggestions.

6. Slipdigit

The picture is reversed. His jacket is buttoned right over left. Men's jackets button left over right. Pluse the marksmanship awards are on the wrong pocket.

The pins on his lapels say US on them. If you look at them, they are reversed.

The pin on the garrison cap is very visible, I'll see what I can find that looks like it. Very likely this was made not long after he finished basic training.

7. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

MedicP3, while I can't assist you much yet - I'd like to offer you my sympathies on on the passing of your grandfather. I wish you much success in tracing his WWII path.

8. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Since he was injured at St. Malo on August 8, 1944, I did a search for that and found this, perhaps it will help:

"The next day on August 7th the attack resumed in force. The 121st regiment of the 9th Infantry division under the command of Colonel John R. Jeter crossed the Rance river to destroy the garrison at Dinard. Previously the 121st had taken the surrender of the garrison at Dinan. As the 121st moved north towards Dinard. The 121st quickly found out that every road north to Dinard were blocked by concrete, rock, felled trees and barbed wire, each were covered by camouflaged strong points manned with platoon sized troops with automatic weapons. Needless to say the advance of the 121st was painfully slow. On the afternoon of August 8th the 3rd battalion entered the village of Pleurtuit as the troops moved into the village several German tanks counter-attacked the flanks of the advance and cut off the battalion. For several days the battalion was surrounded and was unable to move forward or to get out of the trap. Cut off and isolated the battalion had to dig in and wait to be rescued. On August 9th the area known as St Joseph’s hill was captured with over 400 prisoners. After the capture of St. Josephs hill the 331st was relieved by the 330th infantry and sent to a position 56 miles west from where they started on the left flank of the assault across the Rance River. Their mission was to relieve the beleaguered 3rd battalion of the 121st Infantry. "

from

Brittany Campaign - Rolland Despres, 4th platoon, B Company, 1 Bn, 331st IR, 83rd Infantry Division

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

What I was looking at was the piping on his garrison cap. Of course it's a b&w photo, but the piping is large and probably colored. Infantry blue or artillery red is what I am figuring on because the collar device on his right (reversed) collar appears to be either infantry crossed rifles or crossed artillery tubes. And that cap device is a regimental crest. The 114th Infantry (44th ID) crest resembles the one in the picture, but it's regimental history does not put it near San Malo in August 1944. It didn't land in France until 15 Sept 44. The search continues....

10. Slipdigit

I did not get to look at this last night.

The crest does look like the 114th. I'm wondering if he was in the 114th after basic but did not go overseas with them. I need to look to see if the 44th ID was stripped of manpower, and if so when. If the 44th was stripped to provide replacements to divisions in combat, then it is possible that he was transferred after this photo was made.

11. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

I want to thank all of you for your invaluable help! I know for sure that he was infantry, not artillery.

Also, looked again at his discharge papers and noticed that it shows he departed for England on 16 June 44 and arrived in England on 28 June 44. Don't know if this helps any, but thought it couldn't hurt.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your help!

12. Slipdigit

Here it is oriented correctly.

It looks to me like he possibly could have a patch on his left shoulder that is not visible in this pic.

[​IMG]

Like so many soldiers, he looks so young. How old was he when he was drafted?

Attached Files:

13. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

He was 18, almost 19! Born in May of 1924. Discharge paper says "Date of Induction: 17 Feb 43"

14. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Member

No rank insignia. Private?

Infantry brass on left lapel (crossed rifles)?

This is a photo after basic training, right?

15. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Here's another pic I found of him (presumably at the garrison barraks).
    [​IMG]

Slipdigit likes this.
  16. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Steve Peterson - Yes, he was a private (grade 8) when enlisted. He was discharged as a PFC (grade 7). He was also infantry. Discharge paper states he was a "Rifleman (745)". His qualification was "Sharpshooter (194)." I'm not sure of the date of the photograph. The "original" that was in my grandmother's (his wife after the war) photo album was reversed. I don't know if this is an old copy or an original. Both grandparents are deceased now, and my dad was never allowed to view these pictures until now.

17. MedicP3

MedicP3 Member

Also, for everyone who's helping me...my dad mentioned that my grandfather (George R. Young) had trained with paratroopers and is thought to be part of the 3rd wave of reinforcements after D-day. I'm not sure how accurate this info may be. We originally thought he was wounded in St. Lo, but we later learned it was St. Malo, so I'm a little hesitant to take our oral history at face value. (but St. Lo vs. St. Malo...close enough in sound to easily be mistaken for one another), so I believe there may be some truth into the paratrooper training, even if he didn't fully qualify or serve in an airborne unit.

18. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Member

Glider infantry maybe?

19. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Although I can't make the badge on his hat out distinctly, there are only a few possibilities with the shape:

12th Infantry Reg 4th Infantry division.
    22nd Inf Reg 4th Inf Div
    26th Inf Reg 1st Inf Div

The one that looks most like it that I can find is the 114th Infantry Regiment 44th ID. But, that regiment didn't land in France until September.

Posting a copy of his DD 214 might help some of us determine more too.

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

That's quite possible Jeff. Units going in at D-Day and arriving shortly thereafter took many casualties and got chewed up pretty good, especially those involved in the capture of Cherbourg. Some regiments suffered 300% casualties, which would definitely cause other units still in England to levy individual soldiers to their depleted ranks as replacements. That type of "cannibalisation" caused many units to sit behind stateside and in England because they had been hit so hard by supplying veteran units with individual replacements.

We will not know this for sure until we get our hands on a DD214 though.