Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Revised Das Boot???

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by PzJgr, Jul 15, 2002.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I was watching Das Boot the other night I think it was on a network channel. Anyway, I could swear there were a lot of parts I have not seen before. For example, they showed the romance between one of the crew members and his french girlfriend. The one that was pregnant. When they are leaving Le Havre, she was waving goodbye from some warehouse. There were other parts I had not seen. Is there some 'uncut' version of Das Boot?

2. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

If you have only seen it on Video, then yes it is different. Its been such along time since i watched it on TV though i can't recall the scene you metion. The video is only 123 mins. While the DVD directors cut is 200. But i think even this is shorter than the TV version.

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hallo, Herr Pertz and Bish!

I have it on tape, I jsut recorded it from the telly here in Mexico and it is like 300 minutes long... there is shown the romance of that boy from the crew with the pretty French girl who is with child. Then he is afraid of what the bloody Maquis could do her. And yes, the captain and the Liutenant saw this girl when they are departing from La Rochelle, not Le Havre. The only bad thing is that it was in Spanish... damned. One of the few German war pictures there are and I cannot watch it in my bloody language...

4. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

I was not sure how long the TV version was. I love watching it on DVD. You ca chose wether you have it in German or English. I prefer it in German with subtitles. In english you just don't get the same feel for it

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If im not mistaken--I think the original German version was about 6-10 hours long--it was actually a mini-series.

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I remember when it was first shown on British TV - they showed it over a whole week, 1 hour per evening. Very effective and a record number of people watched this 'foreign' movie. So it must have been at least 6 hours in total length and I distinctly remember the ill-fated romance already mentioned.

I was very disappointed seeing the drastically-cut Movie version much later.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I havent seen any romance in any version I have seen. I wonder what it was like, as a mini series?

8. Martin Bull

It was very absorbing. Even better ( and considered risky at the time for TV ) it was shown with original dialogue and English subtitles. The dubbed version at the movies I thought was awful !

'Romance' is possibly a little strong - 'relationship' maybe. We're not talking another 'English Patient' here ! ( Sorry Friedrich ! ) ;)

9. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I much preferred the Director's cut. Much more engaging and realistic. The claustrophobia of being in a tin can really comes through.

My optimum way of watching it would be: german with english subtitles and letterbox, 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio.

A quick thought about the film as a miniseries. Is it possible to get the DVD of the series? Has anyone seen this?

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Stop bothering, you Brit!!!

11. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

No, i have not unforunatly. If anyone does, let us know, PLEASE

12. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

The long 1 u see on tv is not the mini series but the uncut movie version.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im going to look for a copy of it on DVD--after I get Cross of Iron on DVD.

I would say the top 4 Sub movies are and in my order of liking.

The Enemy Below.
    Hunt For Red October.
    U 571.
    Das Boot.

For historical content, good portrayals of characters, excellent actors and scenery, and the "look" is correct as well.

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Friedrich saw the same scene I was describing. In the original version that I remember, they only talked about it. Here, they actually showed them in a hotel room and later, her waving good bye. Actually, it was the war correspondent that saw them waving to each other. I am sure there were more scenes like two different attacks from aircraft when I only remember one attack. I had to go to bed since it was late and now I regret missing it.

15. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, I saw the very same scenes. And there are three air attacks: a single bomber at the beginning, a few days from departing, then another in Gibraltar and the final one at La Rochelle.

16. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

Actually, the Das Boot version that has been hitting the television on cable recently is nearly the complete miniseries. Mini series ran almost five hours...urban myth that it ran for 6-10 hours.

Anywho, the latest incarnation of Das Boot has cut out some scenes. Such as...no 'crab inspection' scene, first depth charging by the destroyer in the storm has been shortened, I also think that Lt. Werner screaming with delight as the boat plunges through the waves in the storm may have been removed as well.(Not sure on that last one.) No dancing party in the torpedo room.

I have a very grainy VHS copy of the complete series that I got as a bonus on a deal two years ago. It is a joy to see the whole thing. I wish that it would be released on DVD, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Maybe for the 25th anniversary of the movie in, what, 2006? Well, here's to hoping.

[ 02 August 2002, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: herr_kaleun ]

17. Martin Bull

Thanks for the info, Herr Kaleun.

( Well, maybe it just seemed like 6-10 hours ! ). ;)

18. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

Just so you know. The scene where Lt. Werner screaming as the ship plunges through the storm. Is still in the version they show on tv, at least here...

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The scene in which he is screaming is in the version I have.

PS, the 6 hr version is not a myth, my friend Susanne has the series on store bought tepe. There are 6 Cassettes in a boxed set. This one is fully in German and has subtitles. ;)

20. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

Carl...my mistake in typing...I meant to type "6" instead of "5" :rolleyes:

But, it is still true that 6 to 10 hours is a urban myth. ;)