Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rifle rack uncovers treasures, Mossberg 200D 12 Guage

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by aquist, Sep 26, 2006.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    found this gun when filling the new rack and inquired of Mossberg collectors association. they identified it correctly(cause i found the stamp on the barrel) as a model 200D the predecessor to the model 500. it was made between 1955 and 1959 and sold for 49.99 at that time. they say it is worth 150.00 to 200.00 dollars depending on its condition. I paid 60 dollars for it in 1998. Its a pump with a box magazine and the traditional Mossberg finger grips in the pistol grip. Originally came with different chokes that screwed on. those are long gone. any way some double 0 buck will make it a good home defense weapon. There are prisons near here and if there is an escape we are very vulnerable.

2. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sweet. :D

3. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Krieg:
    Back in the 1950s, there were no choke-tube shotguns. The only thing I can think of perhaps is one of those old Cutts Compensators. This was a device that screwed onto the end of a specially threaded barrel, and enabled the shooter to basically "dial-in" the choke desired.
    I was hunting with a fellow once who shot the compensator off his barrel whilst shooting at a rabbit. You could hear that compensator cutting a swath through the weeds... but I beleive he still missed that rabbit.
    Manufacturers didn't begin moving away from fixed-choke shotgun barrels til the 1980s I believe.
    Might be smart to have a good gunsmith look that stove-pipe over before letting loose a spray of #00 buck.

Tim

4. lynn1212

lynn1212 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    screw on chokes

mossburg made several guns with screw on choke tubes as far back as the 50s and maybe before. they screwed onto the outside of the barrel insead of the inside like the ones we are used to. i've owned several over the years although mine were all bolt action. without the chokes you have a cylinder barreled gun that would work fine with OO buck at close ranges. forget about anything past 10 or 15 yds though. at 25 yds you will cover a door but the pattern will have holes in it you could crawl through.