Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ROME _ Total War

Discussion in 'Other WarGames' started by Stevin, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Ok, this is not WW2, but I am hooked! This is were strategy and tactics meet. The strategy part is where you are a faction within )or outside) Imperial Rome. You have to govern cities and provences, make sure construction, tax and recruitment are all in order. Then you go en conquer "For the Senate and People of Rome". When you meet enemy tribes and have to combat them, the games changes to a tactical game, where you become a general, commanding his legions; Heavy and light infantry, archers, cavalary, mercenaries, etc. Deploy an duse them well in a real time battle!!! This is the same game engine that was used by the BBC program TIME COMMANDERS!!!

Again, I am hooked.

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rome.htm

[​IMG]

2. Ancient Fire Resurgent

Ancient Fire Resurgent Member

This is really making me angry!!

I bought Rome: Total War, but I don't have a fast enough graphic card (yet) to play it! I have to sit here reading about how everybody loves it. So close, but yet so far...

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

My 600 Mhz processor isn't up to the job either, so I have to go to my friend's to play. So I can't play at will either, but when we retreat to "the War Room".....

Better upgrade your card soon, 'cause it is worth it!

4. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Not to beat on a dead-horse, seeing how old this thread is, but Rome:Total War is one sweet game, along with its Barbarian Invasion Expansion. The Rome Total Realism Mod, however, makes the game superb!

Big fan of the Total War series. Its a turn based game (turns represent 6 months) which limits how fare your units can move (Cities control territories, but its not like a board game). When you enter battle, the game loads up a battle map and you duke it out in real-time.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

The Total war series is exactly what I hoped computer wargames would always achieve. Huge strategy map, excellent AI (especially on highest difficulty... strewth!), and a really satisfying tactical environment, where decent command decisions make a real difference & foolish ones are punished by disaster.

Still playing 'Rome' years after it's debut, not sure I'd advise anyone to bother with the 'Alexander' expansion though as it's an absolute bugger and doesn't really allow for any strategic or long-term planning (or even just noodling about).

I'm now hoping for Hearts of Iron to gain a 'Total war' aspect where the really crucial battles can be fought at the tactical level. I think I'd stop going to bed altogether then :D.

Cheers,
    Adam.

6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I am also the proud owner of Rome!! Just recently updated to the 1.5 version and am planning on getting Medieval 2!!!

Great games and extrememly addicting, best strategy game out there!

7. Joe

Joe Ace

I have this game, like it, and am crap at it.

8. Rootsie

Rootsie Member

I have got Rome TW and Medieval 2 TW. They are both brillent games and I have spent hours ruining my social life so I can play on them :D

I recently read a review for the next one called "Empire: Total War".

From Wiki:

Empire: Total War is about exploration and conquest, founding colonies and fighting wars away from home, and is an epic strategy game spanning the 18th and early 19th centuries, in which you direct your nation to dominate Europe, North Africa, America, and India. The player will use both complex strategies on the campaign map and fierce commands on the battlefield—both on land and sea. The game will feature gameplay correlating with that of the previous games in the Total War series, but with major additions to the campaign map and battlefield.
    Over fifty factions will be featured in the game, ten of which will be playable. These fifty factions include: Battles

Empire features 3D naval battles, a feature new to the series, as well as large land battles with muskets and artillery. Buildings and structures can be garrisoned, and there is a plethora of new formations and strategies to be mastered. The naval battles feature destructible sails, realistic cannon fire and boarding action.
    Not only is naval warfare a change in the battle system—the battles on land have been given a major makeover too:
    • The firing of cannons and muskets is made more realistic.
    • Music makes its way into the battlefield in the form of bagpipes, drums, flutes and trumpets.
    • Weapons may jam and misfire, and cannons can explode.
    • Generals shout orders at their troops as the regiment goes into combat or fires at enemies.
    • The battlefield becomes strewn with dead, dying and dismembered bodies, which uses ragdoll physics to add to the chaos.
    Campaign Map

The previous title's diplomacy and military AI have been given major changes and have been completely refined. There are also new systems in place to draw armies out of cities, by the inclusion of barracks and mills outside the city walls to defend. The all-new animated campaign map features a huge cast of characters, and shows every single building and upgrade, rather than just the cities and castles of previous games. The auto-management system is greatly improved along with the advice system, and the game itself will feature better tutorials that makes the game much easier to learn. There will also be an added focus on managing unrest in the player's empire, and the degree to which the player expands or denies political freedom to the population.

9. Mussolini

Yeah, saw this on the Totalwar.com Website! Good news to us Total War fans! Always has been speculation as to what the next game will be. After R:TW people were thinking Muskets or Colonial Era type game, and were surprised to see M:TW II! Though M:TW II is a farcry from MTW!

I'm excited to see when the release date for Empires will be. Naval Combat should be interesting as it is always Auto-Resolve in RTW and MTWII. The Screenies for the game that i have seen look really impressive though!

10. Joe

Joe Ace

Hopefully there will be a Total war game set in WW2 soon....

11. clems

clems Member

I am particularly fan of the serie.

12. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I have both games and have yet to play it. I must try to find time I guess.

13. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Medieval Total War 2 is by far the best in the series so far I think. The TW series gets better all of the time. The next installment, Empire puts you in the 16th-17th century time period I believe. Should be out later this year....

14. Mussolini

Thats the one with awesome looking Naval Warfare right?

15. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Exactly - now to be able to do what you can do on land on the open sea now will be awesome. I heard it was a summer 2008 release - I'll have to look it up.

16. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Sorry to browse in but a thread speaking of my favorite game ever (I never remove it from my hard drive :p) is just calling for me. If you think vanilla RTW gives you one hell of an expirience, try a mod called Europa Barbarorum. Thrust me, it's like getting a new game! The amount of content added is just surreal (no wonder the mod takes 1,8GB)!

Just to help you enjoy even more a great game!

Cheers...

17. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Although not a TW series game, I own a game called Imperial Glory, which runs along the same lines and gameplay as the original Medievel lines, such as you move your men into the provences and get to chose whether to fight it out or allow the computer to auto attack. The game is just like the TW series, except with the fact that it is based in the Napolianic(Spelling?) era. You control the cannons and the infantry formations and of course the calvary. You see the front line soldiers kneel down and fire a volley of musket fire at an opposing infantry regiment, and you watch the men fall down. You can even garrison buildings and parts of cover around the map such as a wagon with some barrels, or a wodden fence. You also have the option of fighting naval battles, (very nice looking ones) to with the Sloop, frigates and Ships of the lines. Although buggy a good game.

Back on subjet, I have the Rome series and love it. I still get annoyed with the rebels constantly showing up and takeing over your highways and tying up all your men and stopping trade, I know it is realistic and all, but It is still annoying lol.

Although I was able to make a truce with them, which allowed their armies to roam free around th country side, but it also allowed the free use of trade on the roads, and no longer have the constant threat of them attacking m cities and men moving forward to the forntal lines. It also freed up a lot of my garrisoned troops to either be disbanned or moved to more combat roles. l:)

18. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Just finished the Barbarian expansion again.... going to try the small Alexander expansion now......

Vista compatible?

19. Mussolini

Mark down March 3, 2009...thats when Empire: Total War is released. Total War Napoleonic Era fighting!

20. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Excellent, I have been waiting for such a game.