Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Royal Army Veterinary Corps

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1939 - 1942' started by dazwilson, May 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dazwilson

dazwilson New Member

Hi I hope I can get some help,

I am trying to gather information on my corps as a personal project as my corps history is not as well taught as many other units in the british army. My plan is to write a paper of my findings and hopefully pass it on to the younger soldiers of my squadron

Can pass on any information they may know of locations and significant events that happened with the corps or where I can find this out.

I have tried the AMS museum but they are in the process with planning their movements from the old home of AMS training in Keo Barracks (surrey) to their new home on Lichfield.

TIA
    Daz

Otto likes this.
  2. Coder

Coder Member

Here is a a tidbit to start you off.

Up until and including the Great War, the major concern of RAVC was horses (perhaps it still is?). A great uncle of mine, a vet by profession, volunteered in WW1 and found himself working at the Dublin Remount, a depot for horses in transit from Ireland (the whole of which was then part of the UK) to the Front in France; he was also involved with horses at the Curragh, Later, he was transferred to Marseilles, on the Mediterranean coast of France, dealing with a similar Remount. Sadly, he fell ill, necessitating a long journey by hospital train to Le Havre for shipment back to Blighty, but he died at Le Havre before passage could be arranged.

That is all I can say, but he is still fondly remembered as my mother;s favourite uncle, an unheroic victim of war.

dazwilson likes this.
  3. dazwilson

dazwilson New Member

Coder,

Thanks. You are right about our evolve ment with Remount however the only personnel that deal with Military Working Horses now are our veterinary officers (vo) and veterinary nurses (VN) (formally technicians).

Since 1944 the majority of the corps have been dealing with the training, handling and maintenance of Military Working Dogs.

Its nice to hear about your Great Uncle, I couldn't be cheeky and ask if you know his service details (Rank, Regt'l No, date of death) so I can do a bit of research of my own for my paper as so far I have not heard of any incidents involving Veterinary Officers.

As a final note Coder, your uncles death was not unheroic, no matter what the out come of the was for him he is a hero! Facing the horrors of war, placing his life in danger to do the job he was trained to do. After all an animal is living thing and has the same rights as any human to be treated if it becomes ill or injured doing a job we as a race, make the it do to. So that it makes life that little bit easier. And for that I commend him for all he done for his country!

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I really like this effort. Daz, I'd be eager to hear about your progress.

5. dazwilson

dazwilson New Member

Once I have my information and facts in order not only from this site but from the great Wall forum, I will publish my paper to the forum(s) as it's always good to pass on information found to either educate others or help with other people's research! After all teamwork isn't a dirty word

Otto likes this.
  6. Coder

Coder Member

You will find my great uncle on CWGC as William Cronyn, the only man of that name. I know a little more about his background, but I have no further details of his military career.