Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rugby in the US

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Onthefield, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Does anyone know if the upcoming World Cup is going to be on any stations on TV in the US or am I going to have to hijack some signals again, lol. Any hints or info would be great.

2. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger Member

hmm maybe in the spring or summer.

3. belle

belle Member

i know its not as popular as soccer but surely you think as a major sporting event it would be. How did you hijack some signals -sounded pretty funny when i read that. Anyway "maybe in the spring or summer" i guess you were wondering when the WC is on and i think its November.

4. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

What a surprise NZ All Blacks are completely destroying everything in their path. Go All Blacks! Sorry all you English guys, they just don't have it, lol.

RWC 2007 - Photos

OH YEAH!

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes the All Blacks rule, but other teams are still on the field and don't blame the British too much they may not be the best, but they still beat the US lol.... As to getting signals in the US. you could try Eurosport which is availble for free and has games and at least the summaries of the day.

6. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Alright Skip. I'll try to be a little bit easier on the Brits team, lol. Eurosport, I'll look into it and see if I can get anything. Hopefully!

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Let me know if you can get it on the internet. it's available on Astra satelite , but that's in Europe and I don't think it goes beyond the canaries in the Atlantic. Maybe there is a relay. If not, try TV5 they are easy to get in the U.S. you won't have the match ,but a news report with the summaries (in French)

8. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Go, All Blacks!

[​IMG]

How this attracts sheep Is beyond me.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hey we are still in by kicking the Irish out yesterday ! Quite unexpected I must admit, but a nice ticket for the quarter finals.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Good bye All Blacks! France has beaten New zealand 20-18 after a great match. At one point the French were loosing 13-null, but they managed to do what was thought to be mission impossible.
    Same great and unexpected victory for England who beat Australia 12-10.
    A terrible day for the southern hemisphere and a great half final between England and France next week.

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

And the Aussies.
    :D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers,
    Adam.

By the way, did I mention?:
    :D:D

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Next Saturday will be awesome, whoever wins. I just hope supporters will be as fair play as they were yesterday.

13. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Sorry guys but I have to push for Argentina on this one.

I'm just bitter that the All Blacks got ousted.
    :smg:

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Fair enough. Me too, but only to meet the Pumas as a revenge and beat them at the final! The French Rugby team is really my favorite. The Argentines and the English only made it because of their drops and the French beat the All Blacks even when they were 13 points behind at one point... so even if the British are a serious team , the odds are against them this time.

15. Hawkeye90

Hawkeye90 Member

England really don't deserve to be where they are, they are not the team they were 4 years ago. France is a far superior team. I still refuse to take The Springboks out of the picture. Despite their performance against Fiji, I think they will top The Pumas easily. South Africa and France will be the final.

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the US team I think played what...the Samonans and got stomped 2 weeks ago on versus ? wasn't a pretty sight

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

France agaisnt the Springboks? Sounds interesting too. We still have a few days ahead of us and we"ll know.

18. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

So, is rugby in any way comparable with American football, I.e., strategy/tactics, or just a big (seemingly), senseless brawl? Rugby has always reminded me of Basketball with Ghetto Rules. And what's that game that you Briton's fervidly cheer on (in a London pub) where a guy hits a ball with a stick and runs to one base and then back again? I have no idea what the hell that is either:confused:!

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nothing to do with a senseless brawl there are very strict rules, strategies and tactics. The reason I prefer Rugby compared to U.S. football is because of the "time outs" and the commercials. Rugby periodes are 2x 40 minutes and it's just plain war. There is only one commercial break during the whole match.

20. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

American football has penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, off sides, pass interferance, etc.. I believe I've seen Rugby matches get to the point of fist fighting. What are the rules/like?