Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rule the Waves 2

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Brutal Truth, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Brutal Truth

Brutal Truth Active Member

Hello, this is my first contribution to this forum. I used the search function and I saw that this game has not been covered before. If you are interested in naval simulations/war-games, I recommend the above title. You play as the naval minister/secretary of one of the 20th century major powers. Your task is to manage the budget, design new ships, deploy them and lead them in combat during a war. There are also various options that you can choose. The vanilla game looks more like an Alternate History scenario, as the composition of the initial fleets is quite random, and so is the unfolding of historical events, that extends to the 1950s. You can start in 1905 or 1920. There are also some mods available with historical fleets. The major drawback is the graphics, which are at 1990s levels. Still, I consider it perhaps the best naval game out there, at least that I know. There is an early access game on Steam called Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts that seems similar and promises to be even better, but I haven't tried it yet because I'm waiting for the definitive version.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Might be a good game, but the dated VB GUI & late 80s-early 90s graphics leave me feeling that the $35 purchase price is way to high.

3. Brutal Truth

Brutal Truth Active Member

Maybe you could try the demo, yes the graphics are really a weak part, and it affects the tactical part of the game, which can be messy when there are large numbers of ships. Still, the mechanics of ship building and combat are quite accurate, even if not perfect, especially compared to the other naval games I know.