Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Run, Sarah, run!

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by OpanaPointer, Jun 3, 2011.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

The two main political parties have managed, over the years, to make it extremely hard and expensive, for additional parties to be competetive on a national level. I've even heard talking heads for both parties explain that our political system was designed as a two party system. This is B.S. it wasn't. How many remember that Abraham Lincoln at the time of his election was in fact a third party candidate?

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson also weren't so enamored with political parties as evidenced by these two statements, among others:

"The common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it. It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection."
    - George Washington, 1796

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else, where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
    - Thomas Jefferson to Francis Hopkinson, 1789

A couple of purty smart fellas.

ULITHI likes this.
  2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Sadly the two party system started to evolve in Washington’s first term, I think the Federalists first identified themselves in 1794, and they were soon challenged by Madison and Jefferson with the Democratic-Republicans. The Federalists sort of morphed into the Whigs, the "Jeffersonian" Democratic-Republicans turned into the Democrats, while the Whigs generally turned into the Republicans with Lincoln, and shortly thereafter the Whigs disappeared into history.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The system isn't the problem, it's what we make of it that is the issue.

Biak likes this.
  4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

As I see it; The problem is not the candidates, the parties, nor the media. We continue to vote a straight party ticket for the most part and allow the rhetoric to sway us into believing the things we hear. I constantly receive emails telling me So and So said this or did that, when in reality the content (most of the time) is pure BS. Snopes helps to weed out the junk but too many believe simply because they want to. As for Palin being poor or dumb: She's neither. Anyone who can manipulate the system and rake in the millions of dollars she has has to have something on the ball. The current media frenzy of the idiots chasing her entourage is a good example.
    OP said it all: The system isn't the problem, it's what we make of it that is the issue.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

as for stupid the woman is not, she acts like it on purpose to blow folk away she did this deceptively in Alaska and kicked mongrel A**, the woman is brilliant, everyone in Alaska politics that has tried to follow her lead on cleaning up that "country" has failed. as for us in the lower 48/America we don't deserve her, and personally after the diablcle running with McCain I hope she has learned her lesson to stay away from the fools with the system that govern our great nation. Funny how media can mis-represent anyone at anytime, that we all can agree on . . . . .

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I'll agree to this.

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I must respectully disagree. The system is what is giving us these poor choices to vote for.

It troubles me that money raised in Texas is spent in California and New York to tell voters there who they should vote for in Congress, and vice-versa.

It troubles me that our politicians spend too much time raising money, far too little legislating.

It troubles me that when they do actually vote on something, it is all too often some non-issue that won't get passed, but will sound wonderfull in their next campaign ad, and then tell us they could not pass meaningfull legislation because 'they ran out of time'.

It troubles me that when a member of congress votes against party lines, either because it would hurt his constituants or because they oppose it, the party then says that they are dead to the party and will be replaced by someone who will toe the party line.

It troubles me that to win your party's primary you must embrace the lunatic fringe. But once won you tell the people that you really did not mean it and are really a middle of the road kind of guy. Either you are lieing then or now, which is it?

It troubles me that if you win the first half dozen primaries, you are declared the defacto winner of the primary. Far too few people decide who our choice for president is in each party. States in the second half of the primary process often only rubberstamp an already made decision.

It troubles me that FOX News and MSNBC are nothing but propaganda organs for the respective party's. Yes occasionaly they will break in to report a meltdown at a nuclear plant or an asteroid about to end all life on earth, but they will quicly call in the pundit who explains how it is the fault of the other party that we are in this situation.

It troubles me most of all that our glorious political system knows we the voter can't do anything about the mess we have and that we have little choice but to vote for the left wing baffoon or the right wing kook. Or not vote at all.

8. OpanaPointer

She's an idiot. She's touring the country with her kids, using the "Mom, God and apple pie" thing as a replacement for anything of substance.

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Bel - the system is what we all voted in ...............

anarchy it is coming, yes that was said 35 or more years ago. and no Opa she is using the frickin system. she should go to England as the title of this thread suggests

10. OpanaPointer

She has no clue what she said, it's verbal diarrhea. She doesn't want to go to England, she'd have to learn a whole new language or something.

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

sounds familiar, like the last 6 presidents .............. politicians they are all a bunch of Dumb A**'S. they send poor youth off to war who aren't even barely above puberty.

12. OpanaPointer

Once again, "X is as bad as Y" does not make X any less bad.

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

It may just be me, but it sure seems like the OP is not very fond of Mrs. Palin, but hey I've been wrong before:)

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

maybe throw out S. P. and insert Ted Nugent ? there does seem to be a negative vibe surrounding this thread ......... [​IMG]

15. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Now there's a duo! Gun-totin' Momma and aging Rocker with a Bow & Arrow. Look out Dick Cheney!

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

You're right friend, but you're always hammering on X. Kind of pointless to keep saying X is "stoopid" when Y is "stoopid" too. Makes it look like you are taking sides here and saying "my stoopid dog is better than your stoopid dog". They are all useless douche bags.

I didn't care for Palin from the beginning. She'll be the Republican front-runner in 2012, and she'll bash her head on the wall and go down in defeat and Barank will get re-elected. 2016 is the real race.

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Uh oh, forgot what was going to say....

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

guess time will tell eh A-58 if she is compatible with the existing Repub party, she wasn't before and she won't be now. She needs to hang low and just enjoy her grandkids.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Glad to help out, especially when throwing gas on the fire!

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yes, we'll all have to wait and see what will happen.