Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Russian aircraft losses in the Crimea

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Feb 3, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

The pilots of the Schlactgeschwaderen became more and more involved in the air war over the Crimea, to the point that they scored 40% of the 600 German victories against Russian aircraft in the final six months before they retreated from the area. More amazing, one pilot of II/SG2, Leutnant August Lambert, accounted for 70 of these in just three weeks, scoring as many as 12, 14 and 17 kills in a day!! They were flying FW-190F-2s I think then. I wonder why the kill ratios was so high there? Can anyone give some more info on this? Being out numbered would explain some of the kills LOL. But what about the Soviets pilot training ? Were the pilots that poorly trained at that point in the war? Or was it a combination of aircraft, pilot skill and experiance that acounted for some many kills?

Za Rodinu likes this.
  2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

:bump:

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Personally I think alot has to do with the fact the training was so poor. Later on the same happened with Germans.

Also the Red Army air Force was not interested in fighting high, mostly their planes were meant to attack enemy ground troops etc so I´d guess the Germans attacking from above had a good chance of making many kills.

Here´s a book that probably tells the truth. Unfortunately have not yet bought it:

Amazon.com: Bagration to Berlin: The Final Air Battles in the East 1944-1945: Christer Bergstrom: Books