Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Russian Navy "On Verge of Collapse"

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

?

2. green slime

green slime Member

Karjala likes this.
  3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

This is not altogether surprising when you dig deeper into whole picture as several factors are in play, though they vary in scope per nation.

Pax Americana. Admit it or not many nations rely upon the USN to keep the sea lanes open despite our own reductions. The US has powerful advocates in its political discourse that push hard to keep force levels as high as practicable. That and our self imposed belief that someone must take the lead to keep a lid on chaos tends to keep us militarily active to a degree other nations do not elect.

Changes in Technology. Aircraft and missile tech has made it ever more possible for a single plane, launching a single missile to take out a modern 'capitol' ship. Much cheaper than maintaining a effective battle fleet.

Changes in Mission. Britain, despite its pretenses, is no longer a Empire. Canada need no longer fear 'wolfpacks' in the Atlantic, and should they ever appear they can blame the US for not taking care of the problem before it got out of hand. (ungrateful ponce's)

Socialized economy's. People need/want/expect all the modern trappings of the current social safety nets. Safety nets that get ever more expensive per year. You need a navy every so often, but these government largess's have to be payed for 24/7/365. Their populations are to addicted to these to offer any realistic possibility for a reversal beyond the token action.

WestPac Rim nations who have a more direct threat seem to be trying to reverse this, but how far they get in the end is unclear.

If Bernie Sanders gets elected all I can say is you guys better brush up on your Russian/Mandarin or whatever.

von Poop likes this.
  6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

:lol:

Did you see what he did there, Canada?
    Did you?

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

After Celine Dion and Justin Bieber they are lucky we haven't nuked them already! :)

They did give us Otto, so I guess its OooooooooKaaaayyyy.

gtblackwell and Otto like this.
  8. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Russia is actively modernizing her naval fleet. The Kursk tragedy reaffirmed Russia's need to rebuild its navy and a promise that Putin made to people following the disaster.

All the new toys coming out of Russia in recent years are the result of this commitment.

9. Dave55

Dave55 Member

John Candy and Leslie Nielsen too.

I like Celine. Her "Oh Holy Night" is not to be missed.

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Don't forget Drake

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

We had 2 subs transit the Panama Canal in 1917.
    Veterans Affairs Canada:
    "Some of Canada’s first warships were submarines! Two submarines were being built in Seattle, Washington for the Chilean Navy in 1914 when the deal fell through. The Premier of British Columbia, Sir Richard McBride, saw an opportunity to help build the young RCN on the eve of the First World War and moved to buy them for Canada. The purchase was ratified by the federal government and the two ships entered service as the CC1 and the CC2. They trained and cruised in the Pacific for three years before being sent to the East Coast via the Panama Canal in 1917. As it turned out, the ships were deemed no longer fit for service and remained in Halifax until being scrapped in 1920."
    Canada has always tried to do what it can with what it has.
    Check out the 60 Minutes interview with our new PM tonight(?).

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, military budget is going down anyway...without a miracle..

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-defence-budget-idUSKCN0WD0N9

Russia's Rostec sees 2016 govt defense orders cut by around 10 percent: WSJ interview

Russia's government will cut its defence orders by about 10 percent this year, Sergei Chemezov, the head of Russia's industrial conglomerate Rostec, said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal published on Friday.

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

14. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

15. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I can see the FoxNews headlines now... "Putin is weaponizing defense budget cuts!" :D :D :D

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, if you take the money from his people or not, then it´s totally his case. And they themselves say they have to cut the budget.

In Sotshi the corruption was 60-80%, just how much money you need to put in the army to make a NEW ARMY?

17. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

This is a strange looking but ominous sounding Russian vessel. Strange as it could be a WW2 profile with no guns showing, ominous if one reads about it's weaponry.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russias-kirov-class-battlecruiser-fleet-is-expanding-an-1763392754?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618

I admit to knowing little about the Russian navy. after the wall came down it appears to be near totally neglected but of late it appears to be rebuilding. I know we claim a carrier battle group is near invenerable. but I cannot but see them as huge targets with no where to hide,. They must rely on electronics and defensive weapons. what would defeat an incoming specifically targeted ICBM/surface to surface or air to surface version there of from acquiring a fleet carrier using satalite guidence. Hopely eletronics could disrupt the flight path.

I remember some 30 years ago a Soviet sub actually collided with a US carrier in the Caribbean, neither one was aware of the other's presence. That is scary on both sides. Of course much has happened since then . The Russian Navy is not what it once was but I have a feeling they are not about to collaspe.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The "chances" of a sub colliding with an aircraft carrier - or other craft - are so remote as to be difficult to believe. Ive heard of the odd collision with an emergency surface...but 10 times out of ten, if a sub collides with a ship, then it was traillng the ship closely and the ship suddenly does something unexpected...usually turning but sometimes stopping...

19. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Hello gtblackwell and welcome. Overall I share your view on carriers being "sitting ducks". Carrier groups are effective against Third World countries, against nations such as China or even India they would run into some pretty big obstacles. No country can compete with the United States Navy speaking of sheer numbers. Most can't compete with technology either, however; a few can. China, India and Russia decided to invest heavily in missile technology. The idea behind it was actually quite simple its easier and cheaper and faster to build missiles that can destroy carrier groups rather than vice versa. Russia and India for example jointly built Brahmos which is the worlds fastest anti ship missile and is currently in use by the Indian Navy. Russia built the "Club" line/array of missiles and China I forget :D. These missiles are designed for one purpose only: to sink carrier groups.The US has fallen way behind in this sphere with the most modern missile being the "Harpoon" built in the 80s(?)

Even during the Cold War their life expectancy was rather short lived if the unthinkable were to occur.

Back in the 70s, Admiral Rickover, the “father of nuclear navy,” had to answer the question before the U.S. Senate: “How long would our aircraft carriers survive in a battle against the Russian Navy?” His response caused disillusionment: “Two or three days before they sink, maybe a week if they stay in the harbor.”

Russian vessels may look outdated but the communications, radar, and weapons on board are state of the art and terrifying. Rumor has it that Russia also builds some pretty good subs, they can always help out ;) Very quietly Russians also invested heavily into electronic warfare (jamming etc.). A US colonel(?) experienced it personally in Ukraine facing separatists. Clearly impressed and shocked after the encounter, he waisted no time commenting on the separatists ability as "eye watering" experience.

20. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I am far from an authority on modern navies but the article on the Kirov class cruiser seemed to reveal a late Cold War era ship with 21srt century weaponry load on it. and it tweaked my curiosity. I had not made the connection between expenditure on a carrier battle group and a few highly developed nuclear missiles. The US spends enormous amounts on hardware, do we get good value reminds me of Eisenhower;s comment "Beware the militart industrial complex !

I remember being very impressed with rthe Akula attack subs in the CW period, I think they are still in service. Unheard of diving depths and speed. The latest version must be impressive.

The relationship between the Russians and India at that level is most interesting. My daughter, 42, has a friend of her age, an electrical engineer for Boeing Defence Systems that spends half his time in India working on weapons with the Indian Navy !! Maybe we should all just get together !

Thank you for your insightful post. Back to reading Foxtrotalpha !

Gaines

Sloniksp likes this.