Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Russian vs German Infantry Weapons

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Lt Fox, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Lt Fox

Lt Fox Member

Hi, guys...i was reading have the russian PPSH ...people have said the germans had better weapons but really i think the russians had better guns...BUT, i believe the german's guns were made with better metal than russians which didn't make their gun jammed(Besides the MP44). Anyways people had said the german weapons are better...but i noticed the PPSH is basically the best SMG to have in WW2. Because it basically had very low recoil and it shot more bullets than any smg per/s and it was very mobile. now if u compare it with a well known SMG MP40...This gun was the best mobile gun but...the effective range is 100m when the ppsh is 120m ... better muzzle velocity....etc. so why didnt the germans create the smg like the ppsh...we know they did the Gewher which really helped but werent produced enough...MP44 was alright...it was a big thing cuz it just made a new category as assault rifle...people say it did a big thing in the war...it did...but... they started to produce it when they were starting to lose...thats y only 400,000 were made...people dont understand...if only 400k were made...not alot of soldier had it...talking about 18million soldiers...400k of them had it... so in calculations...in ratio...every 46 person would have a mp44.. What do you guys think who have the better weapons... Germany or Russia...Remind u that Russia had better rifles than germany

-Lt.Fox

2. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

I would personally say that the PPSh and PPS-42 were better weapons than the MP-40, like you said, but I think you're underestimating the MP-44 just a little. The MP-44 was much better than the Russian SVt-40 and probably the DP-28.

3. Lt Fox

Lt Fox Member

Yes but...MP44 is another category... SVT40 was a semi rifle ... lets take the Gewehr vs the SVT40 ...SVT40 has better specs..BUT the only problem was that the SVT40 would break because of its high velocity. =)

4. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

I think German weapons are better, they were more technologically advanced. The Kar98 was the best bolt action rifle of the war beside the Lee Enfield. In my opinion the the mp-40 was better, I am not sure were you got the numbers on maximum range but it was 200m for both. The mp-40 was harder hitting and hard a larger caliber bullet, although the ppsh had a higher rate of fire.

5. Hufflepuff

I think overall the German weapons were better, but the Russians had more weapons available to them and that only a few of them were good enough to be called excellent weapons. Germans had quality, Russians had quantity.

6. Lt Fox

Lt Fox Member

ure looking at maximum range mate...but Effective range was better on PPSH...
    I think you looked at Wikipedia if im not mistaken.

7. Lt Fox

Lt Fox Member

But if you compare 1 vs the other like SVT to Gewehr...or MP40 vs PPSH...It makes sense that the Russians had better weapon no?

8. Lt Fox

Lt Fox Member

You're right about Quality & Quantity...But look at the gun...Doesn't the Facts say it is better?
    Like the Mosin vs the Kar...The bullet Penetrates more...but the Mosin has a better effective range.

9. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

I see your point, but you have to admitt that thhe Germans had better tank technology and crew served weapons. Mainly anti-tank and mg. But that is for a different thread.

10. Lt Fox

Lt Fox Member

Yes, thats how basically Russians got screwed lol, Germany went all the way to Moscow because it was an "Open Field War" which was only farms and field...but in Winter and in Cities, Germans got the boot lol.

11. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

yes, absolutely correct. Well I can see you have found yourself a comfortable little niche here. You should get your first award tonight at 11 posts.

12. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

one thing be careful were you put thread I would say this doesn't belong here it should go under the weapons category.

13. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

I got my second medal awesome. lol

14. Lt Fox

Lt Fox Member

Oh nice, Hey shockwave, did russians actually fought with tanks as much germans did? Because i saw an article saying there was a very good Russian Tank that the Russian Used. I know the Panzer and the Tiger was totally was awesome. Also did the Russian Anti-Tank Rifle (I Forgot what it was called) do a big part in fighting the germans?

15. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

It isn't the weapon that is important, it is the orgainzed unit within which it is being used that is critical. The difference on the battlefield between the various submachineguns, excepting those of very poor quality, is insignificant, just as the choice of rifle is. Yes, semi-automatics do make a small difference as do assault rifles. But, in infantry units the only weapons of real military siginficance are machineguns, mortars, and grenade launchers / man portable HE /AT weapons.

16. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

The russian anti tank rifle was called the PTRS, and was very effective in ambushing Panzers. Anti tankn guns were also good at this. I read about one soldier in stalingrad who used the anti tank rifle to snipe. He even added a scope.

17. Hufflepuff

lol I got my third yesterday and I was so happy :D

18. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Whats the point of having "more technological" weapons if they are not reliable.......

I can only imagine how many German crews sat in a technologically advanced, broken down Panther while being confronted by the inferior T-34's.....:D

I have read German accounts which would contradict the above. Many would leave their MP-40's behind after they would jam or freeze and grab the PPSH instead.;)

19. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Weapons don't win a war. Its the common groundpounder that does.

20. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

The Soviet 120mm PM 38 Regimental Mortar was sooooooo bad that the Germans copied and started productio lock, stock and barrel, as the 12cm SGrW 42.

[​IMG]

By the way, the weapon that really kills in numbers is the artillery (howitzers and mortars), see James Dunnigan. Infantry small arms are mostly self defence weapons compared, so we can let myths rest in peace.

Mortars & Infantry Guns