Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Russian vs German Infantry Weapons

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Lt Fox, Mar 25, 2008.

1. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

OK, just my two sense worth but....
    I have fired a K98 and a Lee Enfield. Both are weapons someone in my family uses every year to go hunting with. That said, when sighting in our scopes both rifles can place a group of three within the size of a quarter at 100 yards. Now I ask, How much more accurate does your rifle need to get?

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thats cheating LOL. How well do you do WITHOUT scopes? 99.9% of the soldiers in WWII had to use thier good ole Eyeball Mark Is.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Well, in High School they where good enough to make the rifle team if the roster hadn't been full.

However, my point was too prove that accuracy counts only so far.

4. Joe

Joe Ace

Make that three...don't forget the British Commonwealth! :p

Unless you where counting the Western Allies as one great Power. Ahem.

5. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Bullseye !!!

Illusions of grandeur? Do you hear voices too? :lol:

6. Joe

Joe Ace

No, I thought it was you who had the voice problem?

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

And under duress. No time to hold your breath, take aim and squeeze. Much the same with the superior technological weapons having been tested in 'ideal' environments but get them out in the field and they fall apart. Not naming any Tigers or Panthers here.

8. german mauser k98k man

german mauser k98k man Member

ok , the russians had a better smg than the germans in most cases, the germans had a better rifle than the russians and thats mostly from personal experince i have but this debate is gonna go on forever.

9. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Wow... I didnt know you was in the war!

...and on both sides too... Wow.

(Sarcasm mode off...)

10. Za Rodinu

Can you explain how in strategic terms the quality or lack of it of an individual infantry weapon can influence overall victory or defeat?

By the by, the 'fact' that the German rifle was 'better' didn't help them too well in the end, or did it?

So you make these pointless and wooly-headed statements and you are surprised you receive negative feedback, am I right?

TheRedBaron likes this.
  11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

"thats mostly from personal experince i have "

And that is?? Have you used any of those weapons in actual combat? In real life situations? In the mud,rain.snow,desert? Or perhaps in the nice safe enviroment of a firing range or something similar?

12. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Experience = Call of Duty 3

13. german mauser k98k man

well i have shot both succcesuly in rain and they both fired fine no mud ect.
    i dont like to treat my ww2 rifles as i would a ak. but i have had feeding failures with the mosin nagant in the past

14. Za Rodinu

:eek:

15. german mauser k98k man

not much effect in war but you cant have artillery without troops. well you can but you might not make it to your location

16. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Hmmm...

What do you want in your firearm when you march into war?

1. That the bastard goes bang when you want it to.
    2. That in the rare occasion when you hit something/body it will have effect on the target.
    3. That it is easy to use and clean.
    4. Weighs little. As a PBI you are already carrying your house, and ammo for the squad automatic.

Sooooooo. From these simple requirements I'd say that the rifles circulating are all equally bad.

All are reliable. I have never had a missfire on the Mauser... Ever. I've fired a few thousand rounds on that thing and not a miss. Lee Enfield probably a thousand rounds no missfire.

All are overpowered. With no optic sights a 6,5mm or 5,56mm cartridge is more than enough. (remember you have to carry the bloody ammo too) The drift of bullets of a 5,56 compared to a 7,92mm is nothing compared to poor marksmansip unaided by optic sights at ranges over 100 yards.

All are bolt actions easy to use and clean(ish) at least you don't have to have a gunsmith certificate to strip, clean and put them together again.

They are all heavy guns. So they all loose points there.

To put it into perspective the bolt action rifles was obsolete. They did sterling work during static warfare 30 years earlier, but in the second world war the pace was different. The infantryman fought in all terrain and weather. Firing into a mass of oncoming soldiers happened seldom. The firefights were different. Soldiers moving in bounds and in smaller numbers. Wether attacking or defending what was needed was automatic fire and plenty of ammo.

So instead of flogging a very dead horse, start a new thread. "my favourite weapon from WW2"

Slipdigit likes this.
  17. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Having a few jeeps or a carrier or two laying about was a big advantage for the US and British. These could do the heavy lifting for bringing up more ammunition and batteries for the radios. Saved having to send a group of runners back to get it and then hump it forward.

18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

NOOOO!!!!!! :eek: Thats another dead horse!! That would serve the exact same purpose and get the same results :rolleyes:. Besides there is already another similar Zombie thread on the subject LOL.

http://www.ww2f.com/weapons-wwii/12215-overall-favorite-weapon.html

19. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

:eek: sorry.

20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

No problem :). There is already enough threads or similar ones on the subject and with the almost the exact same results. "Best", "VS" or "Favorite" it all comes down to people's opinions and biases.