Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SA Sports Insignia-Gruppe Kurpfalz

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Natman, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Natman

Natman Member

My father brought this SA sports insignia back with his war memorabilia. After several years of searching what the "KP" meant, I just found that it stands for "Gruppe Kurpfalz". From what little I've found online, the gruppe was a type of military training unit during the days when Germany wasn't supposed to be raising an army. I would appreciate it if anyone could help further explain how these groups were organized and functioned. Thanks!

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Takao

Takao Ace

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Natman, it is true that the KF were created as political sections before the war, but new sections were also created when new territories were conquered. For example Takao's link shows the Lorraine sections that were created after 1940,

4. Natman

Natman Member

I had previously found the info in the link Takao provided, it led me to think the Gruppe's were military training organizations. I've read that with the start of the war, the Wehrmacht absorbed most of the remaining SA personnel. The 1943 list of units within Kurpfalz (in the AHF thread) would have taken thousands of men to maintain. Where did they come from? Would they have conscripted local men from occupied areas to fill the ranks? Or, was Kurpfalz an organization on paper only by that time?

My thoughts/questions are based on what I'm reading on this Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmabteilung