Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Safest location in WW3

Discussion in 'Military History' started by XcombatX, Dec 12, 2008.

1. XcombatX

XcombatX Member

I was just curious about locations to take shelter/reside during a possible nuclear holocaust.

I've heard and read many times that the Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center (or Cheyenne Mountain Directorate as it's known now) is the safest place to be in the United States during the third world war. The argument used most to support this theory was that in case of a nuclear exchange the president, vice-president, other government officials, ''important'' civilians and their families take shelter there and were able to stay there for years to come (thanks to water/air purification, durable electricity and a vast supply of food).

Now I was wondering what the safest place was in other countries (like Russia, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, and others). Does anyone know this?

2. Army Man

Army Man Member

Strategic location is an interesting topic - while these locations are interesting to know, one must also consider how you're going to get there in case of a crisis - and if you're going to be allowed to enter once (and if) you get there.

Since Cheyenne is also home to Warren AFB, home to a multitude of Minute Man and Peacekeeper MX missiles - that's one of the last places I'd want to go.

Back in the 80s, Margate, Tasmania was rated to be the safest place to survive during a nuclear war. Again - you'd have to be there before it started.

But to answer your question, Russia's version of Cheyenne Mountain is Yamantau Mountain. North Korea's is the Youngsung 21 Complex. China's was in the Sichuan mountains (up until last summer's "incident"). As far as the UK, I think they are in Corsham, Drakelow and Warren Row. Japan has nothing underground (for obvious reasons). Germany did have Bunker 17/5001, north of Berlin - but it is closed.

3. Harry Morant

Harry Morant Member

Why was Margate Tasmania the safest place???? To my knowledge its just a little seaside town.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I think some of the shelters in Switserland would be fairly safe. The Swiss have many shelters , including in Highway tunnels

5. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Having worked in one for a number of years during the cold war in Britain. I have to tell you all...no where was or is safe...You would be deluding yourselves to think otherwise. Sorry.

6. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I agree with Urqh. When it comes, no place will be safe. I recall reading about an Englishman in the late 70's who had achieved financial independence and wanted to leave London for the safest place on earth that he could find. He spent a considerable amount commissioning a study and around 1980 uprooted his family and relocated . . . to the Falkland Islands. He had determined that the Falklands were the safest place in the world to live. I hope he got a refund on the price of the study after he and his family were evacuated during the invasion!

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I was in the ROC for a while, theoretically intended to plot bombs and fallout should 'the worst' occur.
    My vote in the event of yer actual M.A.D. scenario also goes for - 'nowhere'.
    Seriously, if the bangs don't get you the clouds just will.
    We had a bunker, but none of us could see much point in hanging around in it after the comms had finally gone quiet.

Find a nice stash of booze and stick Dr Strangelove on instead...

I almost miss the old tense nuclear balance.
    Mental, but a pretty good ultimate arbiter of a mutually assured rough kind of stability. Anyone who 'got it' really would have to have been a complete mentalist to press that button.

Cheers,
    Adam.

8. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

There are simply 100s of towns in Australia that are so far away from any place worth an atomic bomb, that it would be an easy choice.

Many would be quiet idyllic too!

John.

9. Army Man

Army Man Member

I read this in the paper a few years ago. It's got something to do with the low population count, the wind currents, and the sustainability factor of the area - there's plenty of natural foodstuffs and wildlife to live off for a considerable amount of time.

10. ScreamingEagleMG42

ScreamingEagleMG42 Member

safest place? My basement with my m1!

11. Owen

Owen O

I wouldn't want to survive a Nuclear Holocaust.
    If one went off I'd make sure it got me.
    Get it over & done with very quickly please.

12. Joe

Joe Ace

I agree with WW.

Apparently, and i say apparently, there is an underground chamber near here, as there used to a munitions factory literally a few hundred yards from here (Now being turned into Buckshaw village), and a massive underground shelter for railway stock.
    It's one of those things that you know is true when someone you ask changes the subject instantaneously.

But what point is there surviving when everything else is completely destroyed?

13. Richard

Richard Expert

We are to stupid to end it all in a blink of an eye. Nice long slow death right down to the last master and his slave. ;) :rolleyes:

14. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

as far north in canada as you can go

15. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Apparently you would rather freeze or starve than get it over with quickly . . . .?

16. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

true. oops

17. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I agree with the other aussie's. Australia would be the place to be, because no one in their right mind would waste there weapons on us. lol

They have bigger 'fish' to fry, just like in the movie 'on the beach' with the end of the world, and it being completely destroyed by a nuclear holocaust both by the explosions and then the radiation clouds. The only place left was OZ, well until the Nuclear toxic clouds float down and kill everyone there, the only movie I have ever seen where absolutely EVERONE dies, quite tragic and a very sad movie.

Anyways back to the point, Australia. It has a large section in the middle which is populated by only a sparce amount of people, just as Ozjohn said.

18. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

I think Portuguese Gerês would be the saffest place. At least it was what one American thought. He came here some years ago and said that should a nuclear war occour, only Gerês would be saved. It's such a pretty location, that if I was to die, at least I'd die with a view :)

Cheers...

19. Richard

Richard Expert

Depressing watching them collecting there suicide pills. :(

A classic film of its time and still good today.

20. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

The worst part is when one of the main characters has to watch his wife take the pill and he gives the needle to his daughter. My fiancee couldn;t watch it, she actually left the room.