Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Saginaw M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Michael762, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Michael762

Michael762 New Member

I have a 1943 dated Saginaw M1 Carbine. It has a buffalo arms barrel, and the stock is stamped RIA over EB can anyone give me some information please?

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Saginaw was a steering box maker under General Motors prior to WW2. They like, Inland Mafg. Co. ( also General Motors,) , US Postal Meter (!), Winchester, and others received contracts to to make carbines for the Army. I use to own a Saginaw M1 carbine carried by a Captain Atlas Millhouse. The barrel had a date, same was the gun, but no manufacturer. The gun had some stamped n parts , including the trigger guard and butt plate . Buffalo Arms existed at that time but data on it is hard to find as a new unrelated Buffalo Arms exist now. They may have had a contract too but I have never seen their name on one and I have seen many at gun shows but I simply do not know. It is possible a Buffalo Arms barrel got put on your Saginaw receiver. A few companies bought surplus parts post war and assembled a good many and made new parts for them One way or the other the barrel has been replaced. I would research Buffalo Arms, the original one, to see if they made carbines during the war and look for list of manufacturers that definitely did. Mixed parts WW2 guns are quite common.

In any case you have a great gun to shoot. I am not aware of the stock markings. Anyone would be happy to have one. Some members here know a lot more than I and hope one chimes in.

Gaines

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Col. What a great site. Some manufacturers I never heard of ! Lots of great information well presented.

Gaines

ColHessler likes this.
  5. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

"RIA" is a rebuild mark for Rock Island Armory in Illinois.