Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SAS war crimes

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by CAC, Mar 16, 2020.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Watched as much of this as I could last night...this is disappointing. Massive respect to the whistle blower...and yes he does fear for his life.

Shocking video of an Australian soldier shooting dead an unarmed man

<iframe width="700" height="394" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found the opening footage interesting...
    WARNING: Graphic Footage + Language - Full story in the article.
    Comments from serving or ex serving welcome.

2. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

I wish that what happened was not normal at the front but it is. I hope where you are it is not celebrated by the top of the Command.

CAC likes this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

4. Jack B

Jack B Active Member Patron  

This is so complicated. But, the long and short, the Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) must be adhered to.

Yes, soldiers step over the line. No, they should not. However, it is in no way that simple. If you think it is, you haven't been there.

And, most soldiers are well trained and professional and observe the LOAC to an incredible degree. I've have been simply amazed by the professionalism I have witnessed in the face of extreme stress and duress.

We, and our enemies and critics, hold ourselves to a high standard, despite the fact that that is absolutely not the case on the other side of the battlefield.

We try. We aren't always successful. We should always strive to do better.

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I recall a movie with young Danish soldiers sent to afganishtan. Some 40+ Danish were killed by Taliban. If the Finns got so many dead we woukd come home but I guess the Danes were ca 19+ and the Finns ca 30+.. It means alot. I was in Bosnia 30+ and I knew the guards and patrols were perfect ( my hope )Our troops were ca 36+ in age. US troops try to undertand where you are (Bosnia, not GermANY), and presss people of the armt, after two years, we are Finnish not Norwegian.,

About SAS crimes. Can you shoot them for fighting the enemy unless somebody swears it was an enemy soldier with orders not to killl them?

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Can you shoot them for fighting the enemy unless somebody swears it was an enemy soldier with orders not to killl them?

Not sure what this means mate...sorry.

Yes this is an old story unfortunately...Been going on as long as war has...
    I remember having a conversation with a Staff Sergeant circa 1990...He said the "psycho" bloke who kills 200 people, sleeps soundly and goes out the next day to kill another 200 is the sort of person you want in the front during a time of war ...but is an unwanted problem in peace time.
    The SAS and Commandos have no doubt a good number of "thugs" in their ranks...(you might see them in a bar/pub, stomping on the head of an already unconscious person) In the first video an Afghan special forces soldier was killed and that hit a nerve on one soldier, and this attitude carried on to the next mission. This is by no means professional but the human side to war. As for the treatment of the villagers and shooting dogs (a personal hate of mine) there is no excuse...none. Indeed it flies in the face of what Australians were there for and what we do...help and protect.

I am reminded of a disturbing scene in the movie Platoon where they go into a village, into a hut to see a disabled man and his mother...one soldier caves in the head of the disabled man and then shoots the distraught mother for not shutting up...The same "psycho thug" attitude is seen in this video...

Important to remember the whistle blower wanted to do things "honourably" - You can be bad ass and honourable. Also important to note that some of the other soldiers who saw this described it as "bullshit" and weren't happy.

Ultimately, this is another facet of war that sucks just as hard as other facets...war sucks.

7. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

That Staff Sargent was right about the "time of war" in his observation. In times of war you won't get caught for one thing. Or judged for another.

The story of why the bloke killed the unarmed guy trips a memory. My best friend through Boy Scouts, High School and usher at my wedding was a Marine in the bush Nam 1970. He told me a story when he returned that he said he would never tell anyone else. He's dead now so....... They were set up at a forward position and a new guy joined the unit who got into the Marines by lying about his age. Kid was 16. The unit all looked out for him like a little brother. The kid went out on with a patrol , there was a fire fight and the kid got killed and they brought back 3 VC prisoners. My friend said to me over his beer "They shouldn't have brought back any prisoners." Then he said "I shouldn't have been the one to do it. No one else would do it. So I did it."

CAC likes this.