Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Schönerer - Hitler's Forerunner

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Tamino, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thank you all for giving your POV´s!
    OK, now that we´ve cleared up some opinions, i think we can go back to the topic.
    Tamino, Dr. Fischer was indeed one of the bad boys and at this point i have to agree with you. His eugenistic theories and the his racial theories and tests with the „Rehobother Bastards“ seem to be the basics for the Nazis Rassenlehre. Only difference is that Fischer said that the mixing of races mustn´t lead to a bader genetic material.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Who is a barbarian? The word barbarian was used originally by the Greeks to refer to any non-Greek: Egyptians, Persians, Indians, Celts, Germans, Phoenicians, Etruscans, Macedonians, Carthaginians, Vikings, Goths – all of these became known as barbarians. The ancient Greek word βάρβαρος (bárbaros) meant “babbler.” (not sounds of sheep)

To the Greek ear, someone who did not speak the Greek language babbled, producing the onomatopoeic sound “bar bar bar” which became bárbaros, and later barbaria in Latin.Several other forms exist in Indo-European languages, such as the Sanskrit word barbara, meaning “stammering.” The root word bárbaros has even found its way into the realm of geography as the Barbary Coast, home to the infamous Barbary pirates.

Goto:

http://www.altalang.com/beyond-words/2008/10/08/etymology-of-barbarian/

belasar likes this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Alright already, I'm a dunce, don't rub it in! :)

4. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

Reasonale people talk, bad guys fight. So let's go on talking!

The main problem leading to the war, territorial aspirations have existed in the Second Reich, there is no doubt about that. German state has never renounced expansion plans to the East.

From the map below it is apparent how far colonization of the Central European lands has developed under the German region. I have used a large map with high resolutin to indicate the size and the complexity of the problem. Just look at numerous islands of German settlements spread to rivers Bug and Dnepr. With the fall of two German Empires these numerous ethnic islands have remained far over the new borders. With the incomplete colonization the future of ethnic Germans became uncertain. The fall of Empires were just outcome but the former ruling nation has turned into minority. Inconceivable!

[​IMG]

5. Tamino

Really? I haven't noticed that until you've confessed! ;)

6. scipio

scipio Member

Having had the misfortune to have to study Ancient Greek at school (in addition to Latin - ugh!), barbaroi is the plural of barbaros.

I am only repeating what our Latin\Greek master told us - sorry if he got it wrong.

PS he was also a veteran of the Italian campaign and spoke fluent Italian and French but we were not impressed.

7. Tamino

Your professor was right and you were right too. The Romans took up the word and applied it to tribes or nations which had no Greek or Roman accomplishments (Etymology Dictionary). The original Greek word had no pejorative meaning.

I was luckier than you: I have studied "just" Latin in grammar school and my professor was a Catholic priest.

8. Tamino

Over the past few days I've been reading "Bloodlands" by Timothy Snyder, professor of history at Yale University. It is interesting that territory which he names Bloodlands is identical to that I have mentioned in the post #44. It appears that Central European territories with dispersed numerous German settlements have suffered far the highest death rates under the occupation. That is rather interesting phenomena which requires some rational explanation.