Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SCHINDLER”S LIST MOVIE LOCATIONS IN KRAKOW

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Maksym Chornyi, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Maksym Chornyi

Maksym Chornyi Member

SCHINDLER”S LIST MOVIE LOCATIONS IN KRAKOW

I continue my series of articles from the Poland trip 2018 with a detailed historical tour along the all main movie locations in Krakow, where ‘Schindler’s list’ movie by Steven Spielberg was filmed. Thorough route within Krakow, Plaszow campsite, Auschwitz Birkenau with a detailed map, 50+ of photos, a brief history of the shooting process and the sites, scene-by-scene comparison of the movie with the modern perspective.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback, questions, suggestions. It motivates me to work harder.

Where was Schindler's list filmed: locations in Krakow

[​IMG]

gtblackwell and Half Track like this.
  2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

My traveling days are scarce now but I made a quick trip to Krakow as my understanding it survived WW2 in far better shape than many Polish cities and had considerable historic interest long before that terrible event. It was before the movie came out but your research adds to the reasons one should try to visit there today. I am taken with your efforts and thoroughness. I have a friend here in Auburn, Alabama, whose great grandmother was deemed the most promising child of a large Jewish family in Krakow. At 15 the sent her across Eastern Europe to the Black Sea get a cabin on a freighter to New York City to meet distant cousins who raised her. Not related to WW2 but a poignant related story on the resilience of people. They must have has a premonition.

3. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair it was just a nice Kraków-Odessa train ride, and then a smooth sailing directly to NYC.
    Millions of Polish peasants and poor Polish Jews traveled that route.

That she was able to travel in a cabin proves her family was relatively wealthy, usually it was (much) worse.

There were numerous businesses dedicated solely to exporting people to America (for a fee.) Business was so good their agents were actively seeking naive people to migrate them. To improve profit margins sometimes they were seeking young women for American bordellos too.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  4. Maksym Chornyi

Maksym Chornyi Member

Thank you for your positive feedback. While preparing, traveling or writing I never consider a number of "visitors" of the blog or a particular article I can manage, thus every comment encourages me to go further.

Thank you for your personal story and of a person you know. The World Remembers, I hope.