Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Schu mines

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by William, Apr 1, 2003.

1. William

William Member

Anyone out there have any info, schematics, plans, etc, on the Schu mine? I'm hoping to have some built (minus the "boom" portion) for an upcoming living history event. You can email 'em direct if you'd like, or better yet, post 'em here for all to enjoy.

Thanks in advance.

Wm.T.

2. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

Hey man, I've got a book with a photograph of one. It doesn't give any measurements, but may give you an idea as it's shown with all of the other german mines.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

4. William

William Member

T'anks Doc and Kai! Good stuff there.

Which book is it Doc?

5. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

It's a great book called "d-day", basically just made up of close-ups of artifacts from normandy from museums all over the world.

6. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

Is it the mine that explodes if a person steps on it?

Does anyone has information of the tankmines used in WW2?

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Erwin :

Yes you are corret. Thw Schu-mine was generally made of explosive within a cheap fitting wooden box and was used extensively on the Italien front.

there were several AT mines used by Wehrmacht forces.

the T-mine 35, Steel T-mine 35, T-mine 42 and the wooden T-mine, T-mine Pilz 43.

T-mine 42 weighed 9.4 kilograms and it could be equipped with an expolsive igniter that had a delay of 10 seconds. Mines of this sort were thrown onto the rear/engine compartment.

The T-42 was similiar to the T-35 but had a movable ribbed pressure lid which took up only one quarter of its upper surface.

the wooden T-mines were used in the treelines and soft ground up earth. My friend Helmuth Reichert and his AT squad used them as tank traps on sunken roads and marshes in Ost Preussia in 1945. Usually the effects were so small that only MT would really fall prey to them. though it was enough to blow off a T-34 track.

E

8. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

There is a particularly horrific photo in John Ellis' book, 'The Sharp End' , showing two captured German paratroopers on the Cassino front in 1944 carrying out of the line a very shocked but conscious 'Tommy'.

His left foot has been completely blown off by, presumably, a Schu-mine.

This photo was not published during WWII....

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin, I know this photo, Ghastly is the word, poor chap !

There was one instance in the second or third battle of Cassino that the area and I will not quote which was strewn with these things and barbed wire entangled with brush and then again sewn with mines. Beyond that was entrenchments of Fallshirmjäger and the mg 42's. The Allies had a horrific time trying to secure this area and were turned back more than once....

E