Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Scotland

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Totenkopf, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Can somebody help me? I want to play as Scotland and I cant find a way to liberate it from UK unless I invaded UK as Germany then released it as a puppet. Is their a way I can release it without conquest?

Same thing with how I want to release those Central Asian countries from the SU.

Any help would be appreciated.:eek:

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

'Fraid you're stuck! Even the Nationalists in Scotland were a very minor party 'til the late '60s.
    However, many Labour councils in Scotland were doggedly anti-war and refused to implement ARP policies until as late as 1939/40. Given Clydeside's (ie Glasgow's) "Red" reputation from the George Square riots in 1919, you might be able to mock up this scenario ;
    The Clydebank blitz triggers mass civil disobedience as Communist activists make Churchill's pre-WW1 views on eugenics and 'keeping the working classes in their place' widely known. Many of them are veterans of the Spanish War and quickly raid arms depots and occupy strategic points.
    Just had an urgent phone call I've got run off to-finish this later.

3. GRW

Right, where was I?......

Oh aye. Scottish Nationalists and IRA supporters in the West of Scotland seize their chance, the latter supplying arms and the former willing hands.
    Aided by militant trade unions, the growing crowd of activists occupy Queen St and Central stations in Glasgow, Stirling station and signal boxes, Waverley station and signal boxes in Edinburgh. This blocks all north-south rail movements in Scotland. They also occupy Dalmeny and Inverkeithing stations, completely closing the Forth Bridge.
    At the same time other elements occupy the Scottish Office and BBC studios in Edinburgh, capturing the Secretary of State, and the Army HQ Scotland outside Edinburgh.
    A splinter group occupies Glamis Castle and holds HM the Queen's family hostage.
    Sympathetic unions at the Nobel dynamite plants at Irvine and Ardersier (?), the ROFs at Bishopston and Powfoot strike, completely paralysing munitions supplies and production.
    In a final thrust, Communists seize the Clackmannanshire control centre for the Chain Home system and effectively blind the defences.
    Faced with the threat of invasion from Norway and the neutralisation of military and civil authorities and supplies, and the possible threat of civil war, the British government equivocates long enough to allow the dissidents to negotiate a truce with Germany.
    A bit convoluted, but that do you?

4. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

It was a bit rather confusing but it is quite a good idea (I wish Hearts of Iron could have complicated events)! I would set up a new royal family made up of the rightful MacGregors! :D

5. GRW

That's a fair point. I suppose you could simplify it by just saying massive union unrest left the coal, munitions, railway and power industries paralysed, allowing the rest to unfold.

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Its simple, actually. I suggest starting a new game. Start as the UK. Hit pause right away. You should be able to release Scotland in the Diplomacy Screen or break ties etc. As soon as you do that, save the game as 'Scotland'. Quit the game, then load the 'Scotland' save game. Only don't select the UK, but select Scotland. Whalla! Problem solved: Scotland is no longer part of the UK! Alternatively you can also load the 'Scotland' save game as Russia first and release all those Asian countries, then save it again and load as Scotland to play as Scotland.

Totenkopf likes this.
  7. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Thanks! Im going to go give that a try!

8. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

That should work. Let me know how it turns out (its how I 'freed' Iraq since the event doesn't trigger when you play as Iraq).