Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Searching for any info on my grandfather Stoker (1st. Class) James 'Paddy' Mooney DSM

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Phillip Monson, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Phillip Monson

Phillip Monson Member

Hello Everyone!

I'm here mainly to seek any info regarding my grandfather Stoker (1st. Class) James 'Paddy' Mooney DSM. Although he served in the Royal Navy during WWII on HMSAS Natal, he was a middleweight champion boxer of the Union Defence Force (South Africa) who also won a coveted US Golden Gloves championship whilst on assignment to a naval base in the USA. On January 15, 1943, I know he was the feature bout of 11 to fight in Fort Hancock, N. J. (Sandy Hook). He fought a S-Sgt. Don Vodden (hailing from California & fighting at 158 lbs.) I also know that Lt. Commander Jack Dempsey refereed my grandfather's bout. I have the Sandy Hook newspaper article regarding this bout...written by a Sgt. Clay Marsh.
    My grandfather was also awarded a Distinguished Service Medal while serving in the Mediterranean. He was also one of the original crew on the HMSAS Natal on March 14, 1945 when it sank a U-boat off the east coast of Scotland, only four hours after leaving the builder's yard. That sinking is to this day a Naval record.
    If anyone can help me with any info please don't hesitate to conctact me. Thank you so much!

Kind regards,

Phillip Monson

2. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

Phillip

Welcome aboard !!

There are a lot of very nice and extremely knowledgeable folks who I am sure will be glad to help you out in your research.

Enjoy your stay and looking forward to your posts.

Andrew

3. Phillip Monson

Phillip Monson Member

Hello Andrew,

Thank you very much for your warm welcome!

Kind regards,

Phillip

4. Jennifer Cline

Jennifer Cline New Member

Hi Phillip,

Just wondering if you found any information? I am a family member of Don Vodden and would love to see what info you have.

Thanks
    Jennifer

5. Phillip Monson

Phillip Monson Member

6. Phillip Monson

Phillip Monson Member

Hi Jennifer! Are you still around? I have something for you.
    Sincerely Phillip