Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Searching for Info on Lt Col Paul A Fitzgibbon Royal Ulster Rifles

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by cocoonfx, Nov 28, 2007.

1. cocoonfx

cocoonfx recruit

Hello

I am new to this forum, and i am trying to find out some information on my grandfather. He often told me stories about the war when i was a child but he never went in too much detail.

Rank Lt Col
    Army No = 7020675
    Enlisted = Ballyumena 12 December 1940
    Discharge to commison on 14th November 1942 New Army Number P/355933
    Emergancy Commision to Army Ordance Corp 15 November 1942

The army records we have only show where he signed up as a private and i know that he went to Sandhurst and then got promoted to Acting Col was the CO for a Gurkha and Indian company in Burma. He also said that he was on the chief of staffs and report directly to General Slim but i don't know if i miss heard this or not.

I also know he went from the Royal Ulster Rifles signed up in Northen Ireland and then ended up in the Royal Ordance Corp after he broke his ankle in a plane crash.

What i want to try and do is find out some more information particularly why he got mentioned in despatches i think he had something to do with finding the speaker network the japanese had to scare the troops in the jungle. But again i was young and possibly miss heard this.

Any assitances would be wonderful where i could start.

Kind regards
    Cocoonfx

2. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

I moved your thread to the Forum where you will get the proper attention. Good luck in your searches and welcome to the WWII Forums cocoonfx. :salute:

3. cocoonfx

cocoonfx recruit

Thank you for moving the post... i am hoping to get some interesting info

4. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I was outbid the other day on the RUR History on Ebay, so I can't be of much help right now, but I am very much looking for info on their time in Holland, especially the Overloon battles....

6. goz

goz Member

Hiya mate, i too have been trying to find out information about the 1st RUR. Have contacted the RUR museum in Belfast with the service records we have and Captain Knox (ret'd) very kindly found out a lot more information for us and also helped decipher the records for us. I have read the book 'The rifles are there' a must read if your interested in the RUR. Too be honest I think they are one of the most underwrote about regts from WW2 and I have struggled for ages in getting information. I also have a dvd titled 'we fought on d-day' about the 1st and 2nd batts RUR. If I was you I would write to the museum.

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Just checked out 'The rifles are there' and yes, that is one I should have on my shelves...Thanks for that pointer, goz!