Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Searching for information on WWII U.S. Navy Casualty

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by The Baron, Sep 8, 2020.

1. The Baron

The Baron New Member

I am trying to help a friend of mine do some research on their great uncle, who died while in the U.S. Navy during World War II. All that they learned from their parents is that he served in the Pacific in the Navy. My friend is not able to search in family records, which were lost during Katrina.

I've looked on Fold 3, and all I can find on him is from the "State Summary of War Casualties, Louisiana" which was published in 1946. The information is as follows:

LAWRENCE, Russell Barnett
    Fireman 1c, USNR
    Parents: Mr. and Mrs. Chant Lawrence, Bossier City, LA.

I cannot find a listing for him on the American Battle Monuments Commission.

What we would like to find is his service number, and the vessel(s) he may have served on, so we can attempt to locate records from the NPRC and obtain information from the history of the ships.

Thanks.

2. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Probably
    Lawrence, Russell B, F1c, 8476181; PC-1124 (this, a PC-461 Patrol Craft), killed in action 24 Nov 1944. PC-1124 was heavy damaged on that date by Japanese aircraft off Leyte, Philippines near 10.50N, 125.25E.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  3. The Baron

The Baron New Member

HOLY COW. Thank you very much!

4. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Further, he had enlisted in Shreveport LA on 28 Dec 1943 and reported aboard PC-1124 on 17 Oct 1944, received from ComEsMinRons ServFor7thFlt

And, regretfully, there is this, below - see line 25 upper and lower entries.

Also see PC-1124

PC-1124 - Lawrence.JPG

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Slipdigit and TD-Tommy776 like this.