Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Searching for US Serviceman Marlon D Johnson - found dogtag Berkshire UK

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by Helen Wood, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Helen Wood

Helen Wood New Member

I am looking for any information on Marlon D Johnson. Service number 38425135. Okalhoma City.His dogtag has been found by metal detectorist near Newbury, UK where it is thought 101 Airborne Division/82nd Division were based prior to D Day manoeuvres. I am hoping to be able to reunite the dogtag with family descendants. I would appreciate any information.

Info on dogtag as follows (photo posted on media)

Marlon D Johnson
    38425135 T43
    Helen J Johnson
    2402 1/2 S Robinson St
    Okahoma City Okla

I have conducted an ancestry search and posted on UK based forums not been able to find any matches.

Photos of dogtag as shown

From UK based research, the dogtag was issued between November 1941-July 1943 prior to religion being identified and before next of kin details were removed. Three name matches from records. One ruled out as was born after WWII. One was born in 1907 and his grave does not mention WWII. The other was born in 1921 and it says, 'CPL US ARMY AIR FORCE WWII'. He is buried in TX and was born in Canton, Texax. This looks like a possibility, I have found an obituary which shows matched spouse details (Helen Johnson) but think this may be a coincidence as the service number does not match. From research, there are quite a few details available but I am not sure this is the right person. His draft card shows his age as 20 which would have been in 1941. I would really like to find some information on this person military service to see if I can match the service number from the dogtag or rule this person out.

I am hoping that a US based forum will be able to help and would appreciate any information that you may be able to offer. Many thanks, Helen

Attached Files:

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Helen Wood likes this.
  3. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Well, the address is slightly off. 2402 1/2 Robinson St should be Avenue. The building still stands but is mostly empty now. It is apartments over storefront, common back in the 30's and 40's. Back then it appears there was a drug store occupying the corner business slot, and a grocery store on the other end. You can see the faded paint still present on the brickwork. The Victory Glass Co. occupies the storefront portion of the building now. Also, Wyatt Metal and Boiler Works is still in business. That's where Johnson was employed before going in the service. Maybe give them a call

Wyatt Resources, Inc. - Contact Us

4. Helen Wood

Helen Wood New Member

5. Helen Wood

Helen Wood New Member

Thank you. This is interesting and very helpul. Please can I ask how you were able to find out that this was a place of former employment? Have you found any records matching that service number that reveals this? I will certainly investigate further
    Kind regards, Helen Wood

6. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

It was on his draft registration you posted above at the bottom. I simply looked the company up. They're in Houston now, they might still have a Dallas office. It's a larger corporation.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

All kinds of bread crumbs...