Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

searching infos about the US service man on this pic

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Omachet, Jan 20, 2012.

1. DocL

DocL Member

An alternative explanation of the bumper number is HQ Company (of whatever unit), vehicle number 276. Unfortunately, that doesn't give us much help. The "Q" is pretty definitely NOT for "Quartermaster".

The ribbons might give us some information-- too bad they are so indistinct. I would bet that the last one in the row (wearer's left) is the Good Conduct Medal. I can't find anything with a color pattern similar to the middle one, except for the World War I Occupation Medal (it is conceivable that a soldier in 1945 could still be wearing one of those earned in the mid-1920s, though unlikely). The first one-- no idea, though I could almost convince myself of a purple heart. None of them look like the typical WW2 European Theatre series. Doc

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I am also pretty sure that the "Q" on the bumper is not for quartermaster. I am proposing that the "H" before the "Q" is obscured.

See this photo of an MP jeep. While it was common for vehicle to have the vehicle number on the left bumper, it was not a iron-clad rule. I could not imagine a unit having 276 vehicles in one unit, numbered sequentially like that. The span of control would be too great.

I proposed the 276th QM B after the process of elimination, given the available units in the ETO with that desigination that fit the information the OP provided.

Attached Files: