Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Seeking contextual information for vintage photo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpealingBeChampeon, Jun 19, 2017.

1. SpealingBeChampeon

SpealingBeChampeon New Member

FB_IMG_1497908053489.jpg
    Hi,
    I'm new here and was hoping the people on this board might be able to tell me just a little about my Grandfather's time serving during WWII based on this photo taken while he was enlisted.
    I'll try to keep this short; he died in a car accident while my mother was a teenager so I obviously never knew him, I'm not even sure what branch of the military he served in. When my mother posted this photo online yesterday, which was in our living room for years when I was a kid, it got me thinking maybe some WW2 historians might be able to tell me even a little about my grandfather's time in the service based on the photo.
    For example why is his uniform so dirty and who would wear that uniform (it doesn't have any markings so maybe this was taken during basic training?). If he was doing mechanical work what might be in his back pocket? I assume he's on a ship, maybe someone could even identify the type. Basically any educated guesses about the photo would be really appreciated.
    Thanks,
    J

2. lwd

lwd Ace

A long way from an expert in this but could it be merchant marine?

3. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Can you tell us his name and birthday? Birthplace? Where he lived when he was enlisted or drafted? Some one might find more info that way. There are a lot of helpful members here.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Give us as much information as you can. Contact the National Archives for his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Should be helpful.Veterans' Service Records

5. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Could also be a passenger on the way to any place, and not staying onboard....

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Not much info to work with, but I do thing lwd may be on the right track with merchant marines. However, with so little to work with, it's just a guess.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Grubbies and clod-hoppers, I'd go with crew. The man works for a living. Not greasy enough for engineroom crew, but he'd do for a movie deckhand.

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

What OpanaPointer said...

Clean, pressed uniforms are for lining the rail coming into port. Running a ship is unending work and this photo demonstrates that. More curious is the hand signal he's making. Anyone want to guess at what he's trying to convey?