Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Seeking Info on 100th Pzr Abteilung

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by SirJahn, Sep 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

In Normandy 6 June 1944 looking for the locations of sub-elements of the 100th Panzer Replacement and Training Abteilung. Also called the 100th Panzer Replacement and Security Battalion. I know the HQ was located in Francquetot, Brittany just south of the Dourve River and the 82nd AB drop zones.

I am trying to figure out where any sub-ordinate companies would have been prior to the airborne drop. My father was part of the 3/508/82AB and said he dropped almost on top of a German tank park and I am trying to narrow down that location.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

Dale, cannot help with locations, but the following info comes from Zetterling, Normandy 1944: German Military Organization, Combat Power and Organizational Effectiveness: (p. 176), Unit raised in April 1941 in Germany. One year later it moved to France. May 18, 1944 attached to 91st Division (most likely 91 Luftlande Division). Manpower strength: 664 men. List of tanks: 14 French Renault R-35; 8 French Hotchkiss (no model given); 1 French Somua; 1 French Char B-2; 1 German Panzer III. There were also 5 French light tanks with short 3.7cm guns the author believed could have been Renault FT-17s. The unit is shown as attached to the 91 LD as late as June 22, 1944. No record of the unit shows up after June 23, however it is listed as disbanded on July 1, 1944. The author believes the unit was destroyed.

Hope this helps.

Greg C.

SirJahn likes this.
  3. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

Thanks Greg, :thumbup:that establishes that it was about a battalion size with 29 tanks of various models.

I am looking at the map of the area based on the 82nd AB AAR and if the 100th was spread out in a security role as well as to avoid being targeted it is likely that my father dropped south of the Douve between Cretteville and Beuzeville-la-Bastille.

The 82nd AAR, if accurate, shows a stick of the 508th landing south of the Douve. The 1:250,000 map shows there to be woods in the area at that time which corresponds to my father's comment about dropping behind some woods just before a machine gun could track him and that he landed near a river.

Getting closer.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

If you haven't already, check out author/historian Phil Nordyke's web site: All American All the Way - 82nd Airborne . Along with his well researched books on the 82d A/B, Nordyke offers repros of combat maps that he has gleaned from the National Archives. You can also contact him via the web site. Hope this helps.

Greg C.

5. SirJahn

SirJahn Member