Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Seeking Information on Grandfather/OSS Member - 106th Cavalry Troop A

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Greendyknv, May 1, 2015.

1. Greendyknv

Greendyknv New Member

Hello,

I am starting a massive research project on my grandfather's responsibilities in World War II. Unfortunately, he has passed away and didn't like to talk about the war before he died; therefore, I only have small tidbits of information from him. I currently have his enlistment records, his OSS badge/identification card and his discharge papers. From his own belongings, we have photographs that he took throughout the war where he is in many countries in North Africa, as well as Austria, Poland and (at the time) Czechoslovakia. Through his personal account, we found out that he had been put into the 106th Cavalry, particulary the A Troop. He was replacing a fallen forward machine-gunner.

I plan on doing a biography on him, mainly focusing on his work with the OSS. However, the only document I can find through Google is his enlistment records. I don't want to pay a fortune to request documents through FOIA. It has been 50 years after the fact, so I know the documents should be declassified. I'm looking for a more day-by-day account of what he did, what his orders were, etc. His name was Nicholas Greendyk and I have his serial number and all if that helps. Let me know if you know of any good research sites that might be able to help me out with this.

Thank you!

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Greendyknv likes this.
  3. Greendyknv

Greendyknv New Member

Thank you so much! That is actually very helpful!