Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Serbia to remove 200 Nazi shipwrecks from Danube.

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Aug 13, 2024.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

So not a quick job then.
    "An explosives-filled Nazi warship, which was sunk in 1944, was recovered from watery depths near the Serbian coast last week, according to social media posts by Serbian government officials from last week.
    The ship, which was sunk in Danube, was one of 200 intentionally wrecked by German naval forces.
    Rear Admiral, Paul-Willy Zieb ordered the ship’s disposal to avoid it being taken by the fast-approaching Russian army.
    Serbia's Minister of Infrastructure and Energy Goran Vesić wrote on X, formerly Twitter, last week "Yesterday, we pulled out of the Danube, near Prahov, the first Nazi river warship that belonged to the Danube and Black Sea fleets of the Kriegsmarine.
    "In the coming months, we will remove 21 ships that have been at the bottom of the Danube on the waterway through Serbia for eighty years. In the next phase, about eighty ships will be removed."
    Serbia begins recovering 200 sunken Nazi warships - The Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)

Riter and ColHessler like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Interesting a ship can belong to a political party...

ColHessler likes this.
  3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Short-hand, and/or lazy.

I was a volunteer for an experiment when I was an undergrad. The testers gave each of the fifty volunteers a sheet of instructions. The first line read "Read all the instructions before beginning." I was the only one who was still reading after 30 seconds. One of the instructions was to stand up and then sit back down. It looked like a prairie dog town in that auditorium.

CAC likes this.
  4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

And rivers, apparently.

5. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

I learned in situations like that to skip to the end, and then read the instructions backwards... Saves lots of time usually...

OpanaPointer likes this.
  6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

"Who shall test the testers?" (Typed carefully less the sentence becomes too weird.)