Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Severiano Diaz - My Hero & My Dad!

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Salsera185, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Salsera185

Salsera185 New Member

Hi,

My name is Katie Diaz and I reside in New York City. My dad passed away 21 years ago and it still feels like yesterday. I miss him terribly. This evening I started to clean out my mom's files and I came across my dad's military record. He never spoke to us about his military service so we never knew much about it. After reading the honorable discharge it absorbed me in more and more. I got to learn something about dad's service. I did come to a roadblock which I would love to dig further into. He was in Company B Replacement Battalion Camp Tortuguero, P. R. His separation was at Separation Center, Fort Buchanan P.R. in 1946. In line 33 "Decorations and Citations I started to become confused.

He received the "American Theater Service Medal - World War II Victory Medal. Below it says 1 Overseas Service Bar. Is there a location that I can go into so I can gather information? I would love to see a picture of these metals if any.

Then on line 40- "Reason and Authority for separation" it states the below:
    Convn of the Govt Demobilization AR 615-365 15 Dec 44 & WARX - 21 Sep 45 - WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Confuscious needs to know. I need to know who he was when he was in the military. I don't have a photo of him in the military. HELP! show me the way! PLEASE

Otto likes this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard!
    106px-AmericanCM.png American Service Medal

3. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum. Rich A. in Pa.

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Based on the info provided he seems to have served entirely in Puerto Rico at a National Guard training base with a service entry of late Dec. 1944 and separation in the fall of 1945. This would account for a single overseas service bar as each bar equals 6 months overseas. My guess is he was drafted/joined before the end of the war, but too late for orders sending him into a active combat zone. Conversely he could have had a military specialty (job description) that required him to serve where he did. A vast number of people served in the military never seeing a single enemy soldier in combat. It does nothing to diminish his service They served who only stood and waited.

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!