Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sherman Tank Hatch

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Cord, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Cord

Cord recruit

Can anyone help me find out more about this hatch I recently received? I have some ideas but would like some feedback.

These are my current thoughts:

The hatch was found in Narva, Estonia. I believe it to be off a Russian lend-lease M4A2 Sherman. It was originally rusty but has since been cleaned up. Also, if you notice, the hinge still has metal pins within it. It looks as if the hatch was blown off the tank. There are also missing pieces from this hatch that look like they were removed with force.

I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Takao

Takao Ace

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The hinges were most likeky blown away from it by an explosion. As to the missing parts, I opt for souvenir hunters , who not being able to take the whole thing home, chose to take a part of it at any cost.

4. Cord

Cord recruit

Well, the missing parts seem to could have only been affected by extreme force. The welds around them are broken. The inside part I believe was a locking latch. The outside one (attached image) seems to be a door stop. So it was possible for hatches to be blown off? I know turrets have been as well as hatches blown open.

Also, does anyone have more information about the fighting at Narva, Estonia? Maybe what type of Sherman tanks were there?

Attached Files:

5. Cord

Cord recruit

I found two images. One shows the hatches blown open while the other shows them blown off. I guess it was possible to have them blown off.

Attached Files:

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You have your answer I guess. One possibility was a hand grenade thrown inside the turret (for instance by the crew who had to abandon a broke down tank ) . This could explain why the hatch was blown open.

As to Narva it's obvious that lend and Lease vehicles were used there by the Soviets, but I can't find any sources. However considering the large amounts of Shermans available and over 200.000 Soviets who fought there , there is little doubt some Shermans were used.

A useful link here:

http://www.wio.ru/tank/ll.htm

7. Cord

Cord recruit

Thanks Skipper. Based on that link, it undoubtedly must have been an M4A2 Sherman.

8. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member

Cord, very nice post of the hatch cover, a true war relic. I have never seen the photos of the two knocked out Sherman s above, great shots. . I imagine the German's were very curious about the Lend Least Sherman and that turret held up my the barrel is remarkable..

Good stuff, keep posting and welcome.

Gaines

9. Cord

Cord recruit

Thanks gtblackwell! :D