Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ship departure help

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by KMZgirl, Dec 13, 2016.

1. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Dad's discharge papers say he went to AP (Asiatic Pacific I assume). He departed (flew) 20 Nov 42 and arrived 29 Nov 42. Coming back to U.S. is what I'm most curious about... It says, departure 9 Dec 44 destination US date of arrival 1 Feb 45. How do I figure out what ship he was on and where he departed from? Well, I assume it was a ship since it took almost 2 months to return stateside. Thanks!

2. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Is it possible to post his separation paper? Need to know where he left from if possible.
    This might help. http://www.ww2troopships.com/crossings/1945.htm

3. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

It doesn't say. I know he was Casual Detachment 8925 b for part of his service (Ramgarh, India.) His campaign battle section simply says India Burma. Thanks for the link! I'll go check it out.

4. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Oops, meant to attach this:

Attached Files:

5. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

His instructors pin? It was for Casual Detachment 8925 b. I found the pin on the CBI website.

Attached Files:

6. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I am trying to figure out his footsteps. I know he was in that Hawaii Fort Shafter video training rangers in 1942. Mom told me he was a ranger when I was a little girl. I wasn't impressed at the time. I had no idea what it meant. I have no proof. Dad never spoke of it. He was not a braggart. He just said he was an MP. Which his discharge papers say he was, after he came back stateside, for a few months. I have nothing other than a picture of him in The Spearhead book on Merrill's Marauders. It looks like him, but he is looking down. I know the 5307th was at Ramgarh for a short time (& or Mars Task Force?) Not sure if it was then or not. He could have been a ranger in the Normandy unit he detached from? No ETO campaigns, battles, or awards listed. Anyway, thanks for all the help and sorry for the rambling. :)

7. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

What does DUI stand for? He has blue trim on his hat, so he was infantry, right? I have the hat with the pin still on it. I am digging and learning every day. :)

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I remember your prior posts now- very impressive service. He didn't come straight home, it doesn't take nearly two months to sail from India, or anywhere, to the states. He may have flown out to Hawaii or something before coming stateside.
    DUI stands for distinctive unit insignia--common name is unit crest.
    Don''t give up, something concrete will turn up. Good luck.

9. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Thank you! I knew you would help. I didn't know that two months was not a normal return time. I do repeat myself in case someone sees only one of my threads. I'm so excited to learn even that tidbit. I don't know much, but I sure know a lot more than I did a few years ago! What may be obvious to ya'll, takes me a while to figure out. I am so proud of my father regardless of what he did. Learning a little Chinese to train the Chinese Army impresses me. I've found that on some paperwork. He saved a lot of stuff. Thank you a million times! I'm sure I'll have more questions. :)

10. lwd

lwd Ace

There are lists that contain the departure and arrival dates of transport ships (they've been linked on other threads in this forum). For a given arrival date especially if you know the city you might be able to figure out which ship he was on when he got back. It would also indicate some details of where he came from. Not sure how much further back you could push it though. You might also be able to figure out which ship he left on if it was indeed a ship rather than a plane. A wild card was whether or not he was on a military ship.

11. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I know he flew a lot of places in Nov.1942 because I have a special passport that says he was on official business for The War Dept. I am trying to make a timeline of everything I know. Going through his paperwork again because more things are making since. Wish I could figure out when in 42 that Fort Shafter Army Ranger training video was made.

12. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Military ship or transport ship? Didn't know that either. The only reason I assumed he was on a ship home was the two month deal. The one passport I have was only good for 6 months early in his service. So, don't know if he turned in his last one or if there even was another passport. The one I have says you are suppose to turn it in when it expires. Obviously, he kept it or I wouldn't have it. Lol