Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Shooting in Chattanooga leaves 4 Marines and the shooter dead.

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by USS Washington, Jul 16, 2015.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Well for the time being at least. There may be a change in overall attitude if "Fighting Joe" Dunford is confirmed as Chairman JCS. He's nobodys fool and speaks his mind regardless of the tone the civilian leadership takes. He went along way during the short time he's served as Commandant to repair the damage his PC/trainwreck predecessor General Amos inflicted on the Marine Corps, (they should never have made an airwinger Commandant).

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

On the mark.

I am often armed at church, as are many other men & women.

3. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

During WWII, armed guards were common at US armed forces installations and defense plants like the Watertown, MA arsenal near my house. We are at war now, have been since 2001. When will we wake up and accept this fact? How many people have to die before we do?

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That link doesn't seem to disprove anything since it includes just about every kind of shooting. It's a different thing when some guy snaps and kills his family than it is when the lone nut sets out to murder a crowd of strangers. And that category of shootings happen in gun free zones.

And though I may be wrong about the SC law, it is still a controlled zone where one must seek positive permission. In most free states, you can carry anywhere you want unless specifically banned. In SC, you need a positive permission so in effect it was a gun free zone. One would assume (and I'm sure this guy did) that his victims would be unarmed.

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

That's because you two are discussing apples and oranges. Takao the report you linked to includes any incident where four or more people are killed, the majority are domestic disputes. 70% in private residences. Kodiac is talking about the seemingly random, lone gunman types incidents, where the victims were randomly targeted. Even so, in the 78% of the total where the legality of the shooter having a gun could be determined, 42% of the time they were prohibited from having one.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Well, let's see...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/16/us/james-holmes-trial-aurora-colorado-movie-theater-shooting/

Looks like he was expecting possible armed resistance

7. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

One does need to consider the source. Everytown.org put out the PDF to which Takao provided the above link. They are a gun control advocacy group. From the above linked PDF:

Folks can make their own judgement as to the reliability of the source.

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Eventually, when the cops arrived. These are people who intend to die, they just want to take out as many as they can before they get killed.

Those of us who carry concealed guns know to look for the "ban" sign at the businesses we enter. They vary from state to state but they are all similar and it's a habit you develop. Actually, very few businesses ban guns. It's very rare to see that sign. After the Aurora shooting, somebody looked at various theater chains in Colorado and that chain was the only one that banned guns. I'm sure he chose it for that reason..

And as you point out, these people (the lone gunman type) plan these out well in advance. They buy the gear. They case the locales. They stock up on ammo. It isn't a case of somebody just "snapping." I suspect most of these people start out fantasizing and they slowly put together the reality, then they carry it out. Most of them have known mental health issues that should preclude the purchase of firearms. It doesn't matter though - look at the Tsaernov brothers. They couldn't jump through all the hoops in MA to buy guns, so they just built some bombs using black powder from fireworks. The kid (Lanza?) in CT was batshit crazy, so he killed his own mother and took her gun.

I don't think there is a simple solution to this.

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

More comes out about what happened that day:

Marines moved citizens in the Riverpark away from shooter

After Pfc. Aaron Noyes jumped the fence to escape the active shooter at the U.S. Naval and Marine Reserve Center on Amnicola Highway last Thursday, he ran through the Tennessee Riverpark, scooped up a small boy and carried him out of harm's way.
    "When I saw the kids, all I could think about was my little brother," he said.
    The group of Marines took shelter at a maintenance complex in the park and and warned approaching citizens to get out of the area.
    Three Marines from Mike Battery described the attack to the Times Free Press today, explaining how at least one Marine went back into the attack, carried out by Mohammad Youssef Abdulazeez a week ago today.
    One of the people the Marines stopped on the Riverwalk was Paul Wagner, an Ooltewah resident who was riding his bike on the Riverwalk that morning. He'd ridden up to the Chickamauga Dam and was on his way back to his car — parked in the Riverpark close to the reserve, when three Marines came running toward the Riverwalk. They wore camouflage uniforms.
    "And they stopped me on the Riverwalk and told me I couldn't go any further, to turn around and that there was an active shooter," Wagner said.
    He turned and biked back toward the dam and heard what sounded like gunshots as he rode. But he figured the event was just a drill, and stopped to wait on a bench. Wagner, who calls himself "a little hard-headed," grew impatient after about 15 or 20 minutes and decided to try to ride back to his car.
    He still thought it had to be a drill.
    But when he approached the reserve again, the Marines waved him away again.
    "I could tell by the look in their eyes, there was a certain degree of stress, and, too, there was a certain degree of commitment and resolve that they weren't going to let me get past and go someplace I could get hurt," he said.
    That's when he knew it wasn't a drill. As the details of the morning emerged, Wagner became more and more grateful for the Marines who kept him from danger.
    "The fact they had enough presence and clarity of mind to think about others who could wander into harm's way to me is just a tribute," he said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2015/jul/23/marines-moved-citizens-riverpark-away-shooter/316172/

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

SSgt. Wyatt's funeral was today. Thousands turned out to line the route and at the national Cemetary. 1200 Patriot Guard riders were in the procession, it stretched for five or six miles. Never saw anything like it in my life. I'll post video once some is available.

Smiley 2.0 and Terry D like this.
  13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

CAC likes this.
  14. TD-Tommy776

USMCPrice likes this.
  15. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

16. TD-Tommy776

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk1o8M2uSx8

17. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I am still not at a point where I can have a measured response to this topic.

One of the things that I find myself dwelling on is the amount of time it took the POTUS to lower the flag to half staff at the White House or even make a public statement regarding the incident. I have long since come to grips with the fact that the current POTUS and I do not share the same point of view. Unfortunately I am not wired to question, or criticize, my chain of command.

So, I ask myself: "What would I want my country to do if I was unfortunate enough to be the expression of someone else's need to feel recognized?" What I decided is that instead of flying the flag at half staff, I would rather have a new flag raised to the stop. Don't let these bastards have anything; turn our grief into pride. Don't lower our flag, or our standards, for anyone.

Make no mistake, I feel the need for retribution; but, I am not angry. I am hurt; but, I am not grieving. I will not have someone dictate my feelings, I will not give them that power.

I don't care if this was some confused individual wracked with depression or an intentional act to gain recognition from a terrorist organization. I just don't care.

Whether you shoot up a Recruiting office, Military base or movie theatre; you are nothing to me and I will not yield to your need for self enrichment at the expense of others.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

As a Canadian, am perplexed that flags were not lowered until days after...That there even had to be pressure put on the WH to do so, speaks volumes.
    After the attack on our Parliament, flags were lowered.

The attempt to make the Chattanooga attack look -non religion inspired, bothers.
    Who cares if it was ISIS or some nutty Muslim. Extremism is extremism.
    Let's nip at the bud, preserve what our forefathers fought for.
    We don't want to end up like some "forward thinking" countries in Europe, who are now in a battle with sharia (France England etc)...Merkel herself admits that integration doesn't work unless people are willing, which they are not.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11559451

We fought wars to get where we are... Let them shed their blood in their lands, in order that they find their own peace.
    Leave us out of the crazy ass allah loop.

edit: spelling

Terry D likes this.
  19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Flags were lowered everywhere except at the Capital. Little to no respect for the current occupant of the White House now. They half-masted the flag for that crack hoe when she OD'd, and put the rainbow colored lights on when the SCOTUS decreed that butt pirates and carpet munchers can get married, but when our servicemen are killed on US soil, nothing. Pitiful.

20. Takao

Takao Ace

That was New Jersey by order of Republican Governor Chris Christie...

Is New Jersey the Capitol now? And Chris Christie President?????

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!...runs screaming for the hills.

A-58 likes this.