Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sights in the New Jersey's BIG turret

Discussion in 'Ships & Shipborne Weaponry' started by JBark, Nov 22, 2011.

1. JBark

JBark Member

I took the tour of the U.S.S. New Jersey a few weeks ago and was curious about the sighting mechanism in the one of the 16" turrets. I looked through a sight of some sort and saw crosshairs. I'm wondering why they need crosshairs on a gun which fires at targets miles away. Anyone know?

2. harolds

harolds Member

By "sight" are you referring to the big range finder in the back of the turret? It should be the big tube that sticks out on either side of the turret.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Sights? They let you look through sights? I was there back in June (pictures are somewhere) and I didn't get to look through no sights. Now I'm jealous.

4. JBark

JBark Member

As I recall I entered the turret climbed up a set of ladder stairs and then stepped to the side 2-3 feet. Hanging down from the turret ceiling was a steel box like device with eyepieces and knobs. It turned so I could bring the crosshairs to bare on Philadelphia or the Ben Franklin Bridge. These targets are so close of course that I wonder what the real use of this sight was since a BB never fires at a range like this (less than a mile.) It's magnification was not very great, as I recall.

View attachment 14983

The white instrument. There are two in this picture, a sailor is using one in the background.

Attached Files:

5. JBark

JBark Member

They probably could tell you were from Pa. I was born in NJ and act the part. LOL.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I would think it was so they could fire using local control if the main and secondary directors were not functional.