Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sikhs in Indian National Army

Discussion in 'The CBI Theater' started by kaki3152, Nov 5, 2010.

1. kaki3152

kaki3152 Member

After the fall of Singapore, the Sikh soldiers of the British Army deserted to the japanese, "almost to a man" ,while other Indian nationalities did not.

Does anyone know the percentage of Sikhs that deserted to the Japanese as compared to other Indan nationalities? The gurkhas did not desert at all.

2. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

I couldn't find any numbers online anywhere, but as far as I'm aware more Sikhs fought on the British side than for the Japanese during the whole war. If you are referring only to troops who were caught in Singapore itself when it fell, then your claim could be true.

All sources I found only list the total numbers of Indians who changed allegiance(between 32-40,000), without a breakdown into separate groups.

This gives the OOB of the forces before the Malaya battles, and due to the Indian units being mostly regional in nature, you could get some idea of the proportions involved;

Malaya Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. kaki3152

kaki3152 Member

The numbers I was able to find was that 90% of the 5th Sikh Regiment went over to the INA.

4. zhangjt

zhangjt recruit

Except Gurkha , Sikhs maybe the best soldiers in Indian army.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Worked with a Sikh. He said "if you are an enemy of ANY Johal, you are my enemy."...That's like saying- "if you have something against any Smith's- then all the Johnson's have something against you"... except there are 50 million Johals. All ruled by the same familial code..Scary.