Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Silent Hunter

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Akas, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Akas

Akas New Member

Anyone here play silent Hunter. It's a submarine simulation it takes a bit of patience but I like it (but don't getThe newest one

2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

I have seen gameplay of it, but have never played it myself, it's not my cup of tea really. I'm all over Aviation simulators such as IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, Cliffs of Dover, and Battle of Stalingrad.

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I think its generally agreed that Silent Hunter 3 is the best...one can do anything in that game...even follow the torps into the side of the ship and then watch the ship sink right to the bottom...anti air with a 20mm quad is really fun...using the deck gun against small shipping is fun...and sinking an ocean liner the size of the Titanic with four torpedos is really exciting.
    Coming across a fleet of destroyers, frigates, and battleships gets the heart pumping...slowly, quietly moving to the strike area and letting off every torpedo at multiple targets, knowing that they are about to discover your presence and move in...trying to get the torpedo tubes reloaded as quickly as possible...all very exciting. I played 3 for about 5 years...never got old.
    The next one (4) was from the American point of view in the Pacific and was a step backwards for me...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  4. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I've played it, and I liked Silent Hunter 4 the best. I had the gold edition where you could be a U-boat in the Indian Ocean. You could put the twin 20's and quad 40 on your U-boat and shoot down every Allied plane you met. Plus, as the American, I raided Garapan harbor and blew up every thing on the water, including a flying boat.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Amend that to read "I think its generally agreed that Silent Hunter 3 with the GWX supermod is the best."

Until you have 17 B-24 Liberators attacking you, then it just gets aggravating.

It was for most sub simmers. The "sim" part was watered-down and the graphics were beefed up in a vain effort to appeal to more "gamers". The "vanilla" SHIV was broken on release and only part-way patched, but it was the "mod community" that really made that game great.

I might have to find Keltos's I-Boat campaign mod and do a reinstall of SHIV.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah Liberators were a bit annoying...but the hurricanes and Sunderlands were fun...I usually just dived when the Libs turned up...cruise slowly for the rest of the day and come up after nightfall. Don't think I had the supermod. I used to love it when a couple of sunderlands collided too...

7. Takao

Takao Ace