Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.
  1. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Active Member

The Nazis used slave labor throughout the war, and treated their enslaved human beings like animals to be held in cruelty. Does anyone think there is a correlation between the slave labor used by the Nazis, and the equipment failures that seemed to happen to the Germans, especially towards the end of the war. Tanks that would break down and have engine problems, problems with plane engines, etc., could that be because they were being made by slaves who were being treated in the manner they were by the Germans, the fact that I'm sure they didn't want them to win the war, and as a result either the workers were unqualified for certain types of work or they were sabotaging parts on the line?

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Certainly sabotage played a role, but I suspect a greater issue was a lack of proper resources, replacement parts, skilled service personnel, extreme overuse and short cuts taken to get equipment to the troops was the preponderant cause.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  3. harolds

harolds Member

Like belasar, I'm sure there was sabotage, but besides the other things that he mentioned, I'm sure that there was no incentive to be a conscientious worker. Obviously, a worker wouldn't want to be accused of malingering or sabotage but would do just enough to get by and no more. Good work was rewarded the same as shoddy work so why put out any more effort than what was needed to stay alive. The Nazis were famous for being all stick and no carrot!

4. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

From an industrial production point of view, there is a lot wrong with using an under nourished unhealthy slave labour force as the basis for precision engineering industry. Workforce motivation has an impact on quality. I have never worked for a company that employed stave labour, but having seen the quality of work of students on summer jobs, I dare say that slave labourers would have done even more to cut corners and played every game to stay alive.

5. J-B

J-B New Member

Slave labour in WW2 would not have assured good products. The German troops and Officers did not care for the slaves; they did not feed then, immunise them or allow rest if injured - if a slave became injured and couldn't work, they'd be hung or shot.
    The slaves would be forced to work, however with the extent of the outlay, German troops wouldn't be able to properly supervise every point in the manufacturing process, therefore standards would never me monitored.

It is well founded that the Wehrmacht had excellent feats of technology, however not many German workers could produce products quick enough or efficiently. Let's not forget that after the war, some NSDAP scientists were smuggled to the US and Soviet Union to work on their own projects after the war.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I agree. There was sabotage but the bigger problem was having minerals that would make steel etc stronger. There simply was no way to send these to German factories from Spain etc. Also pilots had some basic training of 20 to 30 hrs most due to fuel sparing and were easy to shoot from the sky even if speer made more planes. Kph

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

There was a TV show way back when about a U-boat that kept having a mysterious banging sound give it away. The crew finally surrendered as they couldn't avoid attack. When the boat was dismantled it was discovered that a slave laborer had been sealed up in an air tank and died holding a hammer that hit the hull when the boat shifted. (Something like, anyway.) We love a good payback story.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

There was also a count of Nobel winners who were sent away because they were Jews. Hitler also Lost the war Due to race war. He sent away or killed the best physics or nuclear scientists. Kph