Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Slipdigit - USS Kidd - Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

Discussion in 'WW2 Forums/Forces Postal Service' started by Otto, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Username: Slipdigit
    Postmark: 5 February 2018

Slipdigit continues his world travels with an impressive message from the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He can also count himself as the first Rogue to send a message to our new Texas-based WW2F/FPS bunker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember to check the WW2 Forums/Forces Postal Service Map for a look at our growing list of all WW2F/FPS submissions.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    GRW likes this.
  2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I love visiting the Kidd, it's the best restored destroyer and the only one in the original WWII configuration. Been numerous times.

3. Otto

I've been combing the USA Kidd website since I got the card from Slipdigit. She's a beauty, and now that I live much closer, visiting her is a realistic option.

4. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Very interesting. You who live close enough to visit her are very fortunate. I ordered this picture of the USS Kidd from a magazine and have it on my garage wall. She is being struck by a kamikaze here.

[​IMG]

USMCPrice likes this.
  5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

You can also hit the USS Texas, the last US dreadnought. She's seen better days but it's still cool to visit her. You could also hit the WWII Museum in Nawlin's. The USS Lexington is in Corpus Christi, Texas. I haven't visited her but next time I go to Baton, Rouge I may plan to swoop over and check her out. Otto, you have to do the Riverwalk in San Antonio, great place. Used to go there all the time when I was stationed at Ft. Sam, I've taken the wife back several times and she loves it too. It's only about four hours from you. (Texas is like REALLY big). Pensacola is like 9 and a half from you. You need to do the Naval Aviation museum there and you'll have to pass Mobile and can hit the USS Alabama there, really nice ship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half Track likes this.
  6. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Half Track likes this.
  7. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

JJWilson likes this.
  8. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

I saw it a few months back, and when I saw this thread I was reminded of it, I thought it was pretty great too, glad you liked it half track.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We stopped and talked to the attendant when we finished the tour. There will be a movie filmed on it starting later this spring, starring Tom Hanks. He said it would about the North Atlantic convoys. They had painted over parts of the ship, taking off things like the Jolly Roger off of the forward stack.

Life aboard had to be miserable at best for the enlisted crew-cramped, tight, and always bumping into things. I am not a tall man (a smudge under 6 ft), but I hit my head several times just walking around the compartments and up and down the scuttle holes. We counted 4 showers for the junior enlisted crew of around 300. The heads were not many in number, either. Can only imagine how hard it was if a bout of the green apple quickstep hit the crew hard.

Not all of the ship is open. The engine and boiler rooms are locked, as are the lower decks. You can only go as high as the bridge; the upper decks of the superstructure are closed, as is the pilot house.

She is 70+ years old and parts of her look it. She sits on a cradle that holds the ship in place when the river level drops. When we were there, she was high and dry, which is the norm for winter months.

I'll prolly tour her next year again when I go back to Mardi Gras. Good trip but I rushed a bit through her and the museum.

All things said, she is a beauty.

Grofaz, you have no real, viable excuse to miss the party next year. I think you are closer to Red Stick than I am. I have daughters that might be enticed into doing some baby sitting. Bobby also has some family there abouts. I'm sure they will limit the liquor to your young uns to one or two.

A-58, Half Track and Otto like this.
  10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Sounds like a road trip in the making to me!

11. Otto

Small update to the opening post as I've replaced the photos with scanned images of the postcard.

A-58 and OpanaPointer like this.
  12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

As Jeff says, you have to make up excuses to not make the short 8 hour road trek to Red Stick (Baton Rouge in Anglais), or a quick one hour flight from DFW. That might be a better option. Probably cheaper than gas and there’s absolutely no need for wheels after you check into the hotel. Make it happen dude! And the same for any of you Rogues out there too. I’m talking about you to USMCPrice. The Krewe of Orion Experience is the weekend of February 15, 2020, so check yer schedules and pencil it in!