Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

So tell me what you got...

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Stefan, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I think it would be interesting to post on the forum what we re-enactors have in the way of kit and what we think of it, I find it interesting to see peoples gear and how they wear it because it is highly ideosyncratic and I would think very realistic, I will explain what I mean better in a minute but first hear is a list of my gear (that I usualy wear) from the top down:

Steel Helmet (or lid as they are more often known to us): I have an original helmet with a Czech liner it is comfortable though hot, at the last battle I ended up pouring sweat out of it, we have to wear a helmet in battles for safety purposes though some groups can wear their caps

Helmet cover: I have an early pattern oakleaf cover without foliage loops, it is the really vivid orange and green type, looks very nice though I am thinking of getting some straps for foliage and hessian etc

Soft cap: I have 2, an M43 and an M40 but I prefer the side cap so my dad uses the M43. It is a very good repro complete with a stamp inside. I use it a lot, I generally wear it rather than my helmet if at all possible with the lid strapped to my belt or y-straps

Tunic: I have a reproduction M44 tunic made in Germany with Grenadiers insignia. It is a very nice reproduction with an inside pocket (perfect for a mobile phone or a mouth organ). It is rather rough material but as the collar is generally open it is not too rough on the neck and it is remarkably cool. I wore it with a shirt and smock in summer last year and didnt get too hot, staggering really

Scarf: Ok, so it is hardly uniform but it is my way of maintaing my individuality. Summer or winter I wear either a black silk scarf or a scrim net. This too is very realistic as Grenadiers were allowed to do this in the field and it was a good way of maintaing a measure of individuality amongst all the uniforms

Upper Body Camo: I wear a reproduction M44 peas dot tunic. It is very nice, cool in the summer but with no real insulation value unless worn over something else but its collar is good and warm in winter. I like it a lot as it is very effective, the only problem is it constricts arm movement a little when worn with a tunic and shirt

Shirt: I have a brown french tropical shirt but it is exactly the same as a Hitler youth shirt (ideal for my unit, the 12SS, as they were very common) except the epauletts, I am going to modify them and stick on loups for the correct straps

Trousers: I wear reproduction M43 trousers with working pockets including a fob pocket. I am trying to get some braces to hold them up because as with most types of German uniform trousers they slowly work their way down during the day eventualy ending up with the crotch somewhere round the knees. I generally keep a British Jack Knife in the pocket which oddly enough, my Grandfather carried around Italy when he was fighting in the British Army

Camo Trousers: I wear a pair of reproduction Italian camo trousers with a large leg pocket. The majority of Italian camo was issued to the HJ division though some went to the LAH or even more rarley to the Whermacht

Boots: I wear ankle boots with gaiters. They are very uncomfortable unless you wear them with 2 pairs of socks at least. The gaiters look quite good though particularly with the trousers folded over the top slightly

Field Gear: I have regulation field gear though it is a variation from the norm in that I wear a folding 'Austrian' entrenching tool and carry my mess tin and bottle on my bread bag. I am trying to get an a-frame, zeltbahn and straps so that I can put my mess tin on the a-frame and wrap my blanket around it with the Zeltbahn underneath. I will hopefully have it by Christmas (or maybe even for Christmas ;) )

So lets hear about your gear if you re-enact. If anyone has any questions about my stuff I will be glad to answer them.

2. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Stefan, sound like you got some good stuff. I have accumlated some stuff for my impression.I have:

headgear: an M40 helmet, which I need to repaint and put new leather on the liner. I also have an M43 soft cap. I love it, if I could I would wear all the time instead of my cubs hat.

Uniform: I have a heer M43 tunic and trousers. On the tunic I have panzergrenadiere shoulder boards and collar tabs.

Footwear: All I have right now are gaiters. I'm working on getting something I could use as low ankle boots.

Equipment: I have my belt and buckle, my breagbag. I've got my e tool and carrier, y-strap, gasmask cannister comming in since I justed ordered them. I still need my K98 ammo pouches, mess kit and canteen. Plus whenever I gtet some extra money I order an frame assalt pack.

Camo: I have a heer zelt quarter which I wear. I see to many guys wearing the smocks, in the war not every soldier a had a smock, but they did have a zelt. At my last event I was the only one wearing a zelt as camo.

weapon. My trusty K98. maybe I shouldn't say trusty since it jammed on me last saturday.

Well thats all I got I have more to say, but I'm so tired right now that I can't think right.

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Nice list, had a smock for a while oakleaf first pattern, but it was very small and so I got the tunic instead. I only know one person who wears a zelt as camo in our unit but then again smocks were far more common issue in the SS than in the heer. Its a great shame there arent more re-enators on this forum because it would be nice to ehar about more peoples gear.

4. Modus

Modus Member

Hey guys -

Here's my list, of sorts:

From head-to-toe:
    Helm (size 68, mee' heads huge!)
    M43 Cap (broken in just right!)
    GOGGLES (those who have seen me in the field understand / know my fetish)
    Multiple Toques
    Scarf
    Tags
    German Undershirt
    M44 Tunic with Grenadier Boards and tabs, missing a Belt hook or two, need to buy more.
    KielhosenJack Boots (a little low on the calf height, in my opinion, but they do the job)
    Felt Boots

As to equipment:
    I've spent a little too much money here and there...
    A-frame (repro)
    HorseHair Bag (original)
    3 K98 pouches (spares are good, one set with D ring latches, the other spare with a [] set-up)
    Breadbag
    3 Zelts (All original, one set of tent pegs)
    Matching Numbers bayonet
    E-tool (one piece) and proper Carrier
    Repro Y-straps
    Original Gasmask Cannister (no Gas mask, DOH!)
    ADF Mess-tin (E-German conversion?)
    E-german Mess tin (needs conversion)
    6x30 Binocs, identical production, no markings
    10x50 Artillery (nicknamed "Panzer" Binoculars) Binocs
    K-98k Rechambered to .308 (BNZ '43)
    Blank P-38 (for when I ran the field gun)

I know you really are wondering how many pairs of goggles I have - currently, I have 3 sets I could wear in the field (One "Russian" set, one original German Kradfahrer set [needs rubbers], and one dust set). I have other "goggles" of various nationalities and productions (pre-wwII, etc).

I love anything that has glass frames in it (or something I can look through).

[ 27 February 2002: Message edited by: Modus ]</p>

5. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Welcome aboard Adam. I didn't realize it was you till I read the part about the goggles. Hows school going?

6. Modus

Modus Member

Decently well... No major plans for this weekend, save for the endless pursuit of the opposite sex.

[​IMG]

7. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I know that pursuit well.

8. Langemann

Langemann Member

I guess I'll throw my kit setup into the fray here as well:

Helmet: M42 size 66 shell with new leather, but origional liner band.

Hat: Well worn repro M43

Goggles: 1 set of origional dust goggles, in origional case.

Tunic: Reproduction M43

Service Shirt: Reproduction service shirt

Hosen: Reproduction Kielhosen, Splinter "A" camo pants made from origional 1944 zelts. Winter snow camo pants.

Boots: Reproduction Marschstiefel, 1942 swiss low boots, Felt boots

Smock: Reproduction "Tan/Water" smock

Zelt: Origional 1943 splinter "A" pattern zelt and tent peg set

Backpacks: 1939 "Affe" with integrated Y straps. Splinter "A" camo backpack made from 1944 stamped Zelt.

Blanket: 1943 Italian woll blanket

Gas Mask Cannister: Origional German gas mask cannister and mask, date unknown.

Bayonet: Matching bakelite handled bayonet

Shovel: Repro shovel and carrier

Ammo Pouches: Origional Set of two

Rifle Grenade Launcher Pouch: Origional 1944 model.

Holster: Reproduction P38 holster

98k: 1940 model with all stamps present (non-matching though) stock stamps present as well

P38: Blank firing P38 reproduction

Rifle grenade laucher: Reproduction Rifle grenade laucher (Made by my father)

There's probably more, but I'm forgetting it now.. if I remember it, I'll add it to this list.

9. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Wow, I didn't realize you had that much stuff. I like the picture you got on your profile, you can kinda see me in the background.

10. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Hi folks, I am back after a long absence from this forum (god damn exams and stuff). Nice to see your impressive lists of kit, I have recently addeda few more items to my selection and hope to add more at my event on the weekend.

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hallo, guys!

I would just love to be in some of those reenactment groups, but there are not over here. I have a lot of WWII things, all original. My grandfather got out of Europe with a lorry full of stuff! ;) I think he did not keep an 88 gun because it would have to be very expensive to send it by post to Buenos Aires! And I don't think it would fit in the garage. Beside, my grandfather bought a lot of handguns and other stuff from the war, but I still most like his original stuff; officer uniform, the officer's cap, the guns. I think you, reenactors would like to use his Sturmgewehr, but I would just simply pick one of his K-98...

Perhaps someday... It is easy to travel over there.

12. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Stefan welcome back, its good to see you here again. I too have alot more stuff to add to my list. Freidrich if your every in the chicago your more then welcome to join us for a reenactment.

13. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Stefan welcome back, its good to see you here again. I too have alot more stuff to add to my list. Freidrich if your every in the chicago your more then welcome to join us for a reenactment.

14. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Thank you! Sure, if I go some day to USA I would love to meet you, guys from the forums and surely be in a reenactment. Wouldn't the others mind if I go with a Lt. Col. uniform? Because there you earn promotions for time, don't you?

15. Langemann

Langemann Member

Adding to my list, I just picked the following up:

Original Mess tin, Original 1942 officers map case, Original splinter "A" Zeltbahn, Butter Dish, Original mismatched bakelite grip bayonet with reproduction frog, and an original 1943 bandage which will be giving to Panzergrenadiere.

Langemann

16. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Thanks Langeman. Lets see, since my last post about this, I have gotten alot of stuff. My 2 k98 pouches, original canteen,post war mess kit, swedish low boots which I dyed black, a 1943 backlite camera, and I just ordered a pair of tornister straps and some repro german sports shorts.

17. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Well, I got a Camo cap (very nice), blanket and a-frame with a bag, giving me a full set of assault gear. I want to get a pair of pioneer pouches soon. I went to a great event on the weekend, left me tired and bruised from charging along a railway line, i tripped on the signal cables at one point and shredded my knees, doh!
    All the best,
    Stefan

18. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Sorry to hear about your injury, but you should write an after action report about your battle.

19. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

My knees are fine now, never was that serious, just a few cuts and bruises. At the moment I am a little too busy to write an AAR unfortunatly, though I have another event next week :D :D

20. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I don't have a reenactment for a few weeks, but the wait will be worth it. It is going to be a D-Day public battle and there will be 4 landing craft. Plus they are going to have operation sealion. I can't wait.