Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

So tell me what you got...

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Stefan, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

You Americans dont know how lucky you are! :D Real AFV's, landing craft all that kinda stuff, we would give our arms and legs for some action like that over here!!! ;) :D Ahh well, maybe some day we will have a little. We (my unit) are currently setting up a training area on some farm land, with bunkers, trenches and so on, should be great, we even have a pilot with a Jungmann trainer who is willing to 'buzz' the allies on our training ground. Should be great fun :D :D I will let you know how it goes

2. 9th Waffen SS

9th Waffen SS Member

I have the following:

Headware:
    M42 Helmet-Size 68 (Big head as well)
    M43-Field cap, grey, Skull on front, eagle on side
    Overseas Cap, grey, skull on front, eagle on side
    Crusher Cap, grey, piped for Recon Unit, late war metal insignia
    Oak A revesible field cap

Uniform:
    Tunic-M42 Grey Tunic, black shoulder boards, piped for recon.
    Dot-44 Tunic, Waffen SS Eagle on left sleeve
    Oak A Reversible Smock
    Kielhosen-Grey
    Dot-44 Pants

Gaiters-Low Boots

2 Belts/Buckles, one for field, one for walking out dress.

Repop Y straps, 2 Original K-98 Mag Pouches, 1 Original G-43 Pouch, Repop P-38 Holster, Original Gas Mask Cannister, Original Bread Bag, Original Bayonet and holster, Original Canteen and cover, Repop Bayonet Frog, Repop A Frame, Original A Frame Bag, Repop Zelt (Oak A), Original Mess kit

Blank Firing P-38 Pistol
    K-98
    G-43

3. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Welcome to the forum 9th Waffen SS. Its good to be getting more reenactors on the forum. Your kit sounds pretty good too.

4. 9th Waffen SS

9th Waffen SS Member

Hi, thanks very much, glad to be here. What units do you all portray? As evidenced by my name, we do the 9th Waffen SS.

You guys have any vehicles in your units?

We currently have a 251/9 (ex Czech Tatra OT-810) with a L/24 75mm cannon, a 251/1 being worked on (again, Czech conversion) a Kubel about 2 months from being done, a 222 Recon car w/20mm cannon, a BMW R/75 & sidecar w/Gas MG-34, a 1936 Ford Truck being restored, and one of our guys has a live fire MG-42. We also have access to 2 US M3 Halftracks and Willys Jeep.

Of course, the "toys" only come out at special events, like FIG or Odessa. Usually, at most tacticals, they are not practical.

Anyone here going to Odessa NY in September?

Thanks again for the welcome. Looking forward to a lot of posting here...

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Wow ! Have you blokes got some 'gear', or what ? :eek:

6. 9th Waffen SS

9th Waffen SS Member

Yeah, "toys" are fun, but boy, can they be expensive, both in terms of time and money. But God are they awesome...!

As a unit, we have 4 MG-34's, an MG-42, and a firing Panzershreck (not a real one) as well as about every other member seems to have a G-43.

Just wondering how it is around the country, do you guys find the GI's to suffer from "Saving Private Ryan Syndrome" or the 101st/82nd guys have a bad case of "Band of Brothers Fever" and not taking hits??? We need firepower to supress the Hollywood delusions that dance in their pretty little heads...

Ah, it's all in good fun, right?

7. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Ahhhh... you Americans... the things you can do with money and free-time... :D

I wwwill love to go there some time and reenact with you. I will take some of my Opa's stuff with me and have fun. I shall be wearing an Oberstleutnant's uniform. Wouldn't you mind to obbey a non-experienced officer?! :D

8. Langemann

Langemann Member

Yes, here in the midwest we have what we call "Bob's." You know who they are right away, they're the guys who joined up after seeing Band Of Brothers. They're all new, and hardly a single one of them recognizes anything we throw at them. It's a shame, because it's really taken down the fun of tactical events.

What I don't get is this; German gear costs more, the weapons cost more, and the vehicles costs more but they have way more of everything! What's the deal with the Allies, why can't they seem to even field a M2 half-track? Sheesh..

9. 9th Waffen SS

9th Waffen SS Member

Dedication to the hobby, I guess. I agree, the German equipment is much more expensive, and when it comes to vehicles, its not even a contest in price. I don't understand it.

"Bob's"-I like it. Gotta remember it. Too true, sadly.

Still, I really enjoy the hobby. It is second to none...

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hehehehe...

The best things are also the most expensive ones... ;)

11. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Me and Langemann belong to the 25th panzergrenadiere division. We have a 251 (converted), a maultier, 4 or 5 motorcycles, and a 42 ford truck. Not bad for a unit of about 18 guys. Plus we might be having a few more toys at our disposal in the near future. Also we have a site witha concrete bunker.

I too am tired of all the "John Wayne GIs" I see at every event. Well this weekend I have a D-Day event, hopefully some of them will trip in the sand and fall down.

12. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Exscuse my absence, I have been busy with many other things. I am a member of a UK based unit portraying the 12th SS Hitlerjugend. We have one converted Sdkfz 251 and a couple of Kubelwagens. I listed my kit at the beginning of this thread though a few more items have been added recently, a HJ knife, pin badge and a Sykes Fairburn Fighting knife (British commando dagger). I wish we could get more hardware, would be great fun to have a tank or more vehicles. We get BOB re-enactors yeah, loads of them. There are loads of great guys in with the yanks but quite a few don't seem to realise that having a company of men firing at you with assorted rifles, SMG's and MG's does not give good odds of you surviving if you walk towards them. At a battle last year I got to within 3 feet of a yank in a building, had my rifle pointed at his feet, fired and told him he was dead, he turned, aimed his pistol at my face and fired, told me I was dead. Sometimes makes you wonder if it is worth having the manners not to shoot these guys at point blank range, ahh well.

13. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

There is nothing that ticks me off more then someone shooting you at pointblank. I've done it a few times myself and felt pretty bad about it. Also I've added an italian camo tunic to my kit (which I'm all excited about, bc my next tactical is italian front so I can wear it), hobnailed my low boots, got a medic vest and armbands, and an original medic pouch.

14. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I have Italian trousers, they are great, they are torn and battered as hell, lovely. I am getting a U-boat jacket soon too, very sweet.

15. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I have just added a splinter pattern m43 cap and now I'm about to add an m42 greatcoat. No more freezing at the winter events for me. In the future I plan on getting some east german winterboots and a few new toques since I can't find my old ones.

16. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

It has been a long time since anyone posted on here so I think i may bump it simply because I have added so much more kit to my list. In the last year and a half I have had to move out of my bedroom and into the spare room because my room has been taken over by kit, seems rediculous. I now have a 6 foot cupboard full of stuff:

Leather U-boat Jacket: I got fed up of standing around in the freezing cold getting soaked before and after battles basically, so i got this, it is very nice, very comfortable and very warm.

Palm tree smock: I got this to replace my old peas-dot tunic, it is more comfortable and works better. It is a first pattern smock so i normally wear it with the skirt rolled up simply to make it more comfortable (it puts padding round the belt).

Oakleaf cap: I added another camo cap to my collection because they are comfortable and look better i think in combat situations

3 Zeltbahns: No real reason for having 3 other than they are useful. 2 are fieldgrey and one camo.

Pioneer pouches: 2 big green pioneer explosive and ammo belt pouches, yup i started being a pioneer. The pouches are good, i padded them out with wood and they look full but they are light, comfortable and allow you to carry loads of stuff should needs be.

Poisoned gas marker flags: for marking mines funnily enough, originals that look good, work (not that they could easily not work) and are generally useful for marking out display areas etc.

A-frame and bag: Useful at static displays, can be used to make it look like you have been in combat recently. Also useful for keeping kit up together and generally carrying stuff.

Clothing bag: found it in a shop in france, its original and cost about £2 which wasnt bad going i thought. Not useful but nice to have.

Chevron: Yup, now i have a chevron on my uniform, I made sturmman a little while ago and am rather proud of that :D

Thats about it, just keeping the thread going, if anyone has any questions about anything let me know.

17. Martin Bull

I've just *bumped* this one up as I found it an enjoyable thread to read ( despite being a non-re-enactor ! ) and people must have got some more stuff since it was up before ?

18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Damn right Martin, my kit wardrobe has got rather larger:

Gymnastroika: Soviet tunic, mid 50's but the same as wartime issue ones.

Pilotka: Sidecap with Red Star at the front..

Sharovari: Half-breeches. Rather comfortable Soviet trousers with really baggy thighs (hense breeches).

Sapogi: Half leather (lower) half impregnated canvas boots. Huge to allow foot wraps to be worn with typical bulging ancles.

Belt: Actually this is my old German belt, filed off the front so as to obscure the SS insignia and I am planning on putting a red star on it. I also have a Brown Leather Soviet belt.

Ammo pouches: Two wartime Moisin Nagant rifle ammo pouches and a pouch for my spare PPSH mag.

Gas Mask bag: Post war respirator bag, for carrying food and spare ammo. Most Russian soldiers ditched their gas masks and used their bags to carry extra kit.

Rain Cape: Huge canvas cape worn around the body or as a cape. Can be attatched to another cape to form a 2 man tent. Very useful and a great wind stopper but weighs a ton when wet.

Shinel: Soviet Greatcoat. Thick, heavy, itchy wool which weighs about 3 tons when wet but warm.

Telegroika: Famous Soviet padded jacket, VERY warm, heavy when wet but a really nice piece of kit.

PPSH41: Yeah, finally got one at Detling this year, beautiful smg, unfortunately a new spec deact but I still like it.

Most of my kit can be seen in this photo, I need a new gymnastroika as this one makes me look fat ;)

[​IMG]

Cheers for bumping the thread Martin.

19. Martin Bull

Great stuff, Stefan - can see you've been busy ! ;)

The PPsH and spare mag pouch look very :cool: ....

20. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Gotta say, I really like the Russian kit. The uniform is odd, a cut we really aren't used to in the west but actually very comfortable. The other handy thing is that the boots have really wide calves, which is dead handy for the cyclists and hill walkers amongst us who had difficulty getting jack boots that fit.