Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Soccer World Cup.....A Journalist Review

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Rlean, Jun 14, 2014.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

There is an action against the NFL for player concussions. Jim McMahon of DA BEARS has complained of related injuries that his employer never informed him of. The NFL is prolly guilty of abusing its' players, guilting them into playing. Often team doctors would issue pain killing drugs, causing addiction, and additional injury. They would also downplay or even omit injuries discovered..The amount of concussions might indicate that the NFL is the most violent contact sport...And I loved every second of what the NFL put out. Especially the Howard Cosell years.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It seems to me that they are whining after the fact. I would have never admitted to an injury that I could cover up and allow me to continue playing.

We did not understand about concussions back then and to blame the team after the fact, to me, is a bit disingenuous.

I got hammered returning a kickoff in high school one night and my head was whipped hard into the turf. I got up, not sure exactly where I was or where I was supposed to go and headed toward the opponent's bench. When questioned about the effects of the tackle, I denied that anything was amiss, or so I was told afterwards. The next day, I did not recall much about the second half of the game. I am quite certain, considering the after effects, that I sustained a concussion. We were still wearing old suspension helmets that did little more than hold the shell and two-bar facemask in a certain position. I rarely finished the game that I did not have a headache. I usually took several aspirins beforehand, but it helped very little.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Not good for you, boss.The number of wrestlers/football players who develope depression and then act out/ or just drop dead is scary. They are just now coughing up the evidence about how concussion will mess us up. Best wishes to you.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

6. Rlean

Rlean Repeat Offender

Slip's comments are to be taken as is, from a players eye view, and therefore a different view to the greater majority. And therein lies the fault of ALL modern sport....

There are too many hopefuls and not near enough places to have whole government sponsored programs en masse to try and turn all our kids into professional sportsmen.

We really need to take the spotlight off these 'professional' hero worshipping ways, and put the emphasis on hero worship of activities where far more people can aspire to participate on the very same level.

One aspect of the american game that I do love is the way they demand that their players in college also devote lots of time and effort into things other than football. It's a tacit admission that most of the College grads will not play professionally, and should think more about what will happen to them in the regular workforce, rather than being swept away by the possibility of a life in the NFL.

If we got far less people playing sport, one great 'knock-on' effect would be that the number of surgeons treating people for sports injuries could be put to much better use. But of course, many of these surgeons treat sports injuries to avoid having to mix with the plebians. Of course for the medical profession, with a few exceptions, it's all about the big house, and the three cars, and the investment properte', and the boat, and the double anthracite platinum american express card........Bugger 'healing the sick'.....Mummy and Daddy didn't put them through Med School for THAT....

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Heros are important in a society...most countries use religious figures (talk about not measuring up!)
    We are also an aggresive species...(is there a war on at the moment? Of course there is...) And need avenues for male aggresion. A big bee in my bonnett is how we've lost our "graduation" ceremonies...these were designed to introduce a new "male" member, and to inculcate the responsibilities of being an adult and what that means for the group. Without it, we have males coming into power with ZERO guidance on how to use it constructively...Sport is a poor substitute (but with the shear amount of males growing up in female single parent families and male teachers leaving in droves, sportsmen become the only male role-models (apart from the ones on television which all want to kill each other).

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I would not trade one minute of time played in sports for anything else.

I would give almost anything to be able to play just one more game, catch one low inside strike, intercept one more pass, steal one more base, receive one more punt or kickoff, blister one more down the third base line, or make one more open-field tackle on a running back about to break it open around the end.

Football and baseball were big-time fun, don't ever forget that.

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Japan / Greece...can't get that time back. Brutal.